The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all,
Tips for moving shrimp from one tank to another will be welcone.
There are several of ALL sizes.

I've had a seed shrimp explosion.
I fear I have let the tank get too dirty.
Reasons:
1. The tank always looks sooo clean
2. There are way more than the three I started with. Gobs more. Seems to be thriving
3. Fear of sucking up shrimp.

Oh, also, I assume shrimp would eat other shrimp if they died...sometimes I can't seem to see very many, other times it's craaaazy . They always reappear.
Anyone else experienced this?

Finally, how do you know if there are too many?

Last edited:
Is it the seed shrimp you are trying to move or others.
Easiest way is to siphon them out. Use a fine net over a bucket and then empty the net into their new home.

Is it the seed shrimp you are trying to move or others.
Easiest way is to siphon them out. Use a fine net over a bucket and then empty the net into their new home.
They are in a 3.5 now.
Poor Mr. Luna has passed and I have a 6g set to go.

It just so happens I have the seed shrimp issue right now, so I can start new!

I am quite fond of my RCS tank, it's very active and entertaining.

So I hadn't thought of a bucket, great idea.
What kind kind of net? Won't they jump?

Also, I am unclear as to what you are suggesting. Is the net over the siphon?

Net over the bucket, one end of hose in tank and the other end in the net. Shrimp end up in the net, water ends up in the bucket. Then you just have to empty the net into the new tank. If you aren't comfortable with this it may be easier to have a second pair of hands to help.

An easier option is to skip the net and siphon shrimp and water into the bucket. Then tip the bucket into the new tank. I prefer to use a net for a number of (good) reasons.

Net over the bucket, one end of hose in tank and the other end in the net. Shrimp end up in the net, water ends up in the bucket. Then you just have to empty the net into the new tank. If you aren't comfortable with this it may be easier to have a second pair of hands to help.

An easier option is to skip the net and siphon shrimp and water into the bucket. Then tip the bucket into the new tank. I prefer to use a net for a number of (good) reasons.
I see, what do you use for a net?

Most reactions

trending

Back