Upgrading led lighting on Aqueon hood

CraigB7708

Reaction score
Like a lot of folks I got a start kit from Aqueon and while I like it I would like to upgrade the lighting. I realize I could just check the 2- 24 inch led hoods on my 55 and start over but was thinking someone would be clever enough to thought of a way of upgrading those hoods. I don't see a way to add a led strip but maybe someone else has?

Metalhead88

Fish Addict
Reaction score
This one has the light built into the hood right?

Your best option is to get a glass lid and purchase a led light that sits on the glass or clamps to the side of the tank.

OP
C

CraigB7708

Reaction score
yea I realize that just too cheap to just chuck the one I got with it lol. But if I can't figure a way to improve it I will do that

Jan Cavalieri

Fishaholic
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I did exactly the same thing with my tank - bought a clamp on LED with full-spectrum lighting. What really upset me about tossing the original one was that it came on a $400 acrylic tank - now if I'm paying $400 for a 29 gallon tank I would expect the lighting to be top of the line. And while it includes spaces for two bulbs they only put a single bulb in it. Plus, to feed the fish you had to remove the entire top it since it was too thick and heavy to push it back a few inches, then it would unplug itself - what a pain.

trending