Upgraded Can Anyone Help Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

strattso

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a relative novice at keeping tropical or any fish come to that, but I am already completely adicted to it. I have just upgraded from a 60 litre tank to a 190litre juwel trigon tank. I have moved all the fish and set up the new tank, using all the filter sponges from my old tank and most of the gravel as well as most of the water.The problem that I have is the water is milky. I only did the changover last night, I used filter bacteria and did not expect this, as when I started my other tank I did not get this.
Is it what they call cycling bloom? I did put some aqua clear in it this morning. However it has done little or no good. Will I have to be patient, or is there anything else that I could do. I have 15 small fish. so in such a large tank I dont think that it will cause a problem. Any help please

So you have added the fishies and not cycled the tank? It could be a number of things...try posting answers to these questions :)

What is your tank details?

ph -
ammonia -
nitrite -
nitrate -
hard or soft water?
What subtrate do you have in it? Sand or gravel? Is the filter new?

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:

It's amazing how quickly the second tank comes after the first. When we got our first tank, my wife went out and bought a second 2.5 gallon tank for a betta before we ever got fish in the first one.

Did you wash the gravel good when you moved it? If not, the milky water is probably a bacterial bloom from the waste that was stirred up in the change. Even if you did wash it, it's still probably bacterial and will clear in a few days. I would hold off on any more of the chemicals (other than dechlorinator). As a general rule, chemicals seem to cause more problems than they cure.

i have had this problem with my first upgrade tank and just give it a couple of days and the water should clean on its own and the filter should kick in properly.

Welcome to the forum Strattso. As long as you moved all of the old filters over along with the fish, the chemistry in the tank will be fine. The cloudy water is most likely tiny bubbles that will end up stuck to everything in the tank by tomorrow. It is not a problem at all and will clear on its own.

Welcome to the forum Strattso. As long as you moved all of the old filters over along with the fish, the chemistry in the tank will be fine. The cloudy water is most likely tiny bubbles that will end up stuck to everything in the tank by tomorrow. It is not a problem at all and will clear on its own.

Thanks so much. I am pleased to say that the tank is now clear and all the fish seem as happy as ever. I am doing a water check later tonight. and will post what the results are tomorrow. So thanks again for all the advice. :good:

So you have added the fishies and not cycled the tank? It could be a number of things...try posting answers to these questions :)

What is your tank details?

ph -
ammonia -
nitrite -
nitrate -
hard or soft water?
What subtrate do you have in it? Sand or gravel? Is the filter new?

Hi,
Just done a water check here are the stats
ph- 0
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 10
soft water
substrata-gravel

The filter is new, however, it is a juwel. and its the same as my old tank. so I moved all the filter sponges, from the old tank into the new one along with all the water and most of the gravel from the old tank into the new one.
I think that I may have lost one of my gourami's, I have'nt seen him all day, and one of the platys seems a bit stressed, otherwise all the others seem ok. thanks for all your help

I hope by ph 0 you mean that it is 7 or some where around that it being the general mid point for water.

Other than that those stats are spot on, what are you suing to test the water? I have been learning fast and went from test strips, to interpet to API, and I must say that the API as most people on here will tell you for a general fish keeper give reasonably accurate results. you will always have some Nitrate I believe upto 40 is acceptable and about 10 - 20 desirable, welcome to be corrected?

As rdd1952 said it can be addictive, we now have 9 tanks ranging from 240L to 48L (the original).

StatMan

I hope by ph 0 you mean that it is 7 or some where around that it being the general mid point for water.

Other than that those stats are spot on, what are you suing to test the water? I have been learning fast and went from test strips, to interpet to API, and I must say that the API as most people on here will tell you for a general fish keeper give reasonably accurate results. you will always have some Nitrate I believe upto 40 is acceptable and about 10 - 20 desirable, welcome to be corrected?

As rdd1952 said it can be addictive, we now have 9 tanks ranging from 240L to 48L (the original).

StatMan

Yes silly me. the ph is 7.2. I guess the stats were ok because I used all of the old filters ,water etc? I use API. I began with the strips, but after reading about the dangers of ammonia levels and the strips not taking it into consideration I went to see my local aquarist, and he showed me which one was the best. I usually do a test once a fortnight. But he said not to bother unless I add fish, or things start going wrong, but I would rather do the stats for peace of mind,. At least that way I can head things off if I see that there is a problem. The ph here is a pain when I do water changes. The tap waters ph is really low from monday through wednesday. then for some reason it jumps to normal around mid day on the Thursday. I know I am sad, because I even tested the water supply :blush:
Wow 9 tanks. I would really eventually like a marine set up. but I only have a small bungalow, and this tank that I have just set up is very large. But I bet Iwill find a place for one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back