Update To The System - Location Field

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Folks, we've recently had an upgrade to the system, and the "location" field of your profile has been 'reset'.  Please update your location based on the pull down menu.  We may be able to include a more personalized field again in the future, but that hasn't happened yet.

In the meantime, please update your country in the location field so that folks are able to advise and converse with your based on that.  

If you are interested in sharing more exact location information on yourself, please add a line to your sig with that information. 

I can not urge members strongly enough on this point- please update your location.

This is an international site and this makes if very important to know the country of a person is posting. It effects what medications may be available. It is hard to suggest a med if you have no idea whether it is even available.

This also applies to equipment brands and brand names. It applies to many other relevant issues as well.

So please, update your country 
thanks.gif

I can't see Scotland so have to put U.K which is not good as I always look to see if members are near me.  Will this be added soon?

Hey stupid question, would it be helpful to have a person's state who is living in the US? I know that some states have different laws regarding this hobby.

I'm glad I updated it, mine said I was living in the UK. LOL Not that I wouldn't love to live in the UK.

TwoTankAmin said:
I can not urge members strongly enough on this point- please update your location.

This is an international site and this makes if very important to know the country of a person is posting. It effects what medications may be available. It is hard to suggest a med if you have no idea whether it is even available.

This also applies to equipment brands and brand names. It applies to many other relevant issues as well.

So please, update your country 
thanks.gif
Great Big AGREE, can it be an enforced field i.e. you have to add your Country?  I am always asking people who come to us for advice to do this, it is so much easier folks if we know roughly where you are, other than in the Universe or Living in the Garage etc.

Ny82 said:
I can't see Scotland so have to put U.K which is not good as I always look to see if members are near me.  Will this be added soon?
Needs to have Scotland and Wales, although part of the overall UK, they also have separate rules for some things ;)  So it would be England, Scotland, Wales.

stanleo said:
Hey stupid question, would it be helpful to have a person's state who is living in the US? I know that some states have different laws regarding this hobby.

I'm glad I updated it, mine said I was living in the UK. LOL Not that I wouldn't love to live in the UK.
Absolutely yes, and for the UK, Scotland, Wales and Ireland it needs to have the COUNTY people are in too ;)  Of course this is a lot of work if they are planning to tidy up the site as it would need to link into a table of relevant States/Counties/Whatever, depending where you are from.  The beauty of it of course is you can then search via the validated fields instead of people putting in weird places in which they live!

You would be welcome in the UK if you like fish (and chips) and can cook this, why not join the competition 
yay.gif

Well done mods and designers, a good move, just make it compulsory I would say.

That's what I mean, individual countries lol.

Yes, there should be a spot for more specific information eventually. 

The problem was that folks weren't forced to update their location at first... and then there were folks who just filled in 'random' stuff.  So, now all new members must fill in the dropbox with their country.  Hopefully another field will be available soon for folks to be more specific in the future. 

But, this is the best we can do for now.

I like this new set up. It's a better way to do it. Have a drop down box with the main country i.e UK then maybe have another with the exact country or a space you can put your location e.g Edinburgh, Scotland or something along those lines
tongue2.gif

I found a list of countries premade on the Internet because lets face it I can't remember them all! When I have time I will find a list that includes states and Scotland.

Maybe you could keep both new and old fields, so that people are forced to update their country but may also personalise their state/county/random comment as they wish? :)  I also like seeing whether people live near me but I feel that should be optional as some people don't like to be pinned down!

tcamos said:
I found a list of countries premade on the Internet because lets face it I can't remember them all! When I have time I will find a list that includes states and Scotland.

This is a bit antiquated now, but it might help you. ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtdQ8bTvRc[/media]

Ha! By list I mean one I can import into the database! But I do love animaniacs...actually...mostly pinky and the brain.
Also, I suppose I could create a new field...maybe...where one has country as now and the other could have state etc. So one field would say USA and the other Arizona. Now sure though, I would have to look into that.

So what are doing tonight, Brain?

pinkyAndBrain_traced.jpg

What we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the fishforums.................................

So you were hoping people were going to be sensible with this?  I notice we have at least one member in Antarctica already :lol:

daizeUK said:
So you were hoping people were going to be sensible with this?  I notice we have at least one member in Antarctica already
laugh.png

Fine, we can't advise that person on what meds are available, as there are no known LFS in Antarctica. You can lead a horse to water, etc. If they can't help us to help them, then they get a 2nd class level of advice. Their choice. Simples.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back