Update: My Molly Did Have More Fry! Wasn't Just Constipated&#3

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jessithebuckeye

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry it has been so long since I last posted. I've been quite busy with doctors appointments, new medications, and all around anorexia recovery! 

I posted in the Livebearer forums on August 26th concerning my Adult Female Molly. I thought she was pregnant but hadn't had any babies yes, and then became worried I was over-feeding her and she was just fat!

This is the past forum on the topic above.

But I have exciting news! We went to go visit my parents on the other coast of Florida on the evening of Wednesday September 4th. We returned the afternoon of September 6th and found NEWBORN BABY FRY!

We only had 6 fry left, which most likely means momma Buzz got hungry and had some fry snacks while we were gone. I also later found 2 fry with yolk sack still attached or very under-developed. This is the second batch of fry she has given birth to, and the first batch was 14, so being in understanding of her possibly eating some of the other fry, I was quite upset at the 2 miscarried babies. =[ But I am glad she really WAS pregnant!

YAAAAAY! My 14 36-day-old fry have been in their breeder cage since they were babies. I added a sponge to the filter on my 10g tank and slowly put the "tween" fish in with mom, and it went fantastic. I have been feeding them lots of brine shrimp for protein so they are very "hefty" and large. They have adapted wonderfully and still know all to come together when it's time for food. =]

I have put the 6 newborns into the breeding net thing along with one of the runts from the first batch. I let the other 13 "tweens" out with mom under careful watch, and they have all done amazing! They are very excited to be out and about finally!

Here are some of the newborns with one of the runts of the first batch:
babiesplusbigandapoo.jpg

And here is a side-to-side photo of the first batch back in August! From 1 day old on August 1st, 2014, to 1 month on August 30th, 2014!  CHECK OUT THOSE BEAUTIFUL SPOTS!

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 10.15.00 PM.jpg

Sorry I am just so happy everything turned out okay, even though momma Buzz ate some of her babies!

Congratulations! They're so cute :D

Thanks! Was just looking around watching the fishies when I spotted another newborn who must have been hiding and gorging on food! He's got a big belly but he's now with the other newborns. =]

BLF, you are very correct - this is still 2013.

Congrats jessi, glad everything is going so well.

You might need to look into separating the genders - or else you'll be overrun with fry.

Hahaha! Pardon my mistake. It is most definitely still 2013. I am not a time traveler. 

When are they mature enough to start mating?

Sooner than you think.  :lol:

I don't know... there are some factors involved... its not just a set number.

jessithebuckeye said:
Hahaha! Pardon my mistake. It is most definitely still 2013. I am not a time traveler. 

When are they mature enough to start mating?
2 to 3 months

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back