Unwanted Gourami breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm in the high risk shielded group.
That makes sense.. sorry if I came as rude or something..
Maybe keep calling them until they finally take a call, go and donate the fishies, but make sure you do wear a mask and gloves on.

If gourami eggs are like betta eggs then they'll need shade to develop so if the light from the tank can reach them they're unlikely to develop. Again if they're like betta eggs then it takes about 36-48 hours for the eggs to hatch then another couple of days or so for the fry to become free swimming. Chances are if they make it to the free swimming stage then the male will eat them and the other fish will eat them too.
To be honest I think pets at home would be unlikely to take the adults unless you bought the adults from them in the first place and even then depending on how long you've had them I still think it would be unlikely.

That makes sense.. sorry if I came as rude or something..
Maybe keep calling them until they finally take a call, go and donate the fishies, but make sure you do wear a mask and gloves on.
It's ok. Maybe I can get someone to drop them in if they say they will take them.

If gourami eggs are like betta eggs then they'll need shade to develop so if the light from the tank can reach them they're unlikely to develop. Again if they're like betta eggs then it takes about 36-48 hours for the eggs to hatch then another couple of days or so for the fry to become free swimming. Chances are if they make it to the free swimming stage then the male will eat them and the other fish will eat them too.
To be honest I think pets at home would be unlikely to take the adults unless you bought the adults from them in the first place and even then depending on how long you've had them I still think it would be unlikely.
So maybe less than a week of hostilities until nature takes its course, assuming they develop. I just don't want to lose any more of my other fish who are all co-habiting peacefully. We set the tank up before the lockdown, but once it was cycled everything has had to be done on line and we got them through mail order. Pretty sure they won't want them back but once I can get out and about I might be able to chat to Maidenhead and Southern Aquatics from whom we got a lot of equipment and maybe get them to put some feelers out. Thanks for help.

Haven't had gourami but when my Bettas bred in the main tank the male would only venture any distance from the nest if another fish was seriously close and then straight back to the nest without wasting energy fighting, he just charged and retreated. If the tank is big enough for the female to escape to the other side then she should be fine as he'll be reluctant to leave the nest especially with all the other fish in the tank.

Haven't had gourami but when my Bettas bred in the main tank the male would only venture any distance from the nest if another fish was seriously close and then straight back to the nest without wasting energy fighting, he just charged and retreated. If the tank is big enough for the female to escape to the other side then she should be fine as he'll be reluctant to leave the nest especially with all the other fish in the tank.
That's good to know. My gold gourami are beautiful and great personalities, but so unpredictable. There's plenty of escape room for the female, and the smaller fish have plenty of hiding places so long as he doesn't get fixated on pursuing them. Many thanks.

Good news sequel. Maidenhead Aquatics have taken them. They said they take most fish except live-bearers, and even offered to come out to the car park to pick them up from me to cut the risk. Thanks for all the info/help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back