Unusual Rainbow Fish

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
following on from my previous topic which drobbyb sorted for me. (cheers for that) :good:
im trying to find some more unusual rainbows here in the UK. preferably in the south east.

im after some of these...

Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
Melanotaenia nigrans
Glossolepis maculosus
Glossolepis wanamensis
Melanotaenia parva
Rhadinocentrus ornatus

The ones on that list are fairly common and the M. sp. splendida are most likely crosses as there are many rainbows that look the same. I would have to see the stock before I would buy any of those.

Melanotaenia kamaka
Glossolepis multisquamata
Glossolepis pseudoincisus
Melanotaenia affinis
Melanotaenia batanta
Melanotaenia duboulayi
Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
etc...

Those are some of the more rare but still attainable species. BE CAREFUL with the wanamensis. They look exactly like the multisquamata with the exception of a little color and some of the dorsal rays. It is very common the mis label and mis sell this fish. On the rainbow forums that I belong to we see about 3 to 4 cases a month of mis identified fish, heated debates mind you :)

The M. parva (flame rainbow) can be difficult to source, but with all the breeders in Germany it should be around.

One word of advice for you: Don't buy from a LFS. Instead buy from a breeder who can tell you the lineage and to make sure that you are actually getting what you pay for. Species like boesemani and lacustris are probably safe to get from a LFS but only because they are easily identifiable. STAY AWAY from anything labeled "Austrailian Rainbows."

do you know of any reputable breeders i can contact.

Many thanks.

(i rekon the costs to get them here will be too large though, as the tank will oly be set up until mid august. )

well, at the moment im just enquiring as im still apinting my cabinet (see my new 4x2x2 journal)

im just wondering what the breeders have, what each fish cots or for a pair etc.
and how much shipping is to the UK. its small things like that,

oh and wether they have good policies on dead on arrival etc.

I got some word back. It seems that you would have to drive a few hundred km to get them because with all the crossing of country borders it makes it near impossible. I'm still hopeful though that I'll find a breeder in the UK. I posted on an international rainbow website, and I got 3 replies in a few hours. Let's give it a bit more time and see.

yeah, i thought about that, the rules are strict enough for plants!

Thanks ever so much mate. having looked at the 'australian rainbows' i can identify about 3 varying species within that tank. not sure of names but they deffinately arent the same. so you are right!

they sell the usual boesemani's and praecox and the big, bright red rainbow. (think its a glossolepis)

Probably G. incisus. They have silver flakes on their red body. There are also G. pseudoincisus which are red, but I don't think they can get as big as the incusus.

Looks like we struck out this time Nick. I can't get a response from any UK breeders. At the very least, boesemani are beautiful once mature. They are just pretty common. Same goes for praecox and incisus. If I were to recommend a species out of those 3 I would pick boesemani. The praecox can be a little sensitive to water conditions, and personally, I don't care for the incisus.

i rekon i might keep some boesemani, some praecox and hopefully i might get hold of some lacustris too. are they ok to get from a shop?

yeah i love the colours as well.
i will get some praecox as i need something to bridge the gap between my harlequins and the larger rainbows.

thanks for your help mate.

im now in the hunt for some lovely rainbowfish if anyone has any or knows of someone selling them.
i would prefer those of a larger size (e.g not juvi's)
all my local shops sell are tiny ones and my tank isnt going to be set up long enough for mine to get to a showcase size. hence the need to buy some that are already 2.5"+

im interested in the following.

Praecox (can get some decent sized ones as they only stay small)
boesemani
Trifasciata
Lacustris
parkinsoni
maccullochi

any other let me know what you have.

Most reactions

Back