Unusual Gelatious Growth.

Honeythorn

Sugar coating and nicely nicely? I don't think so
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
2,313
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Stourbridge UK
Hi, I was just doing the 1st of the weekly water changes on my mother's 5 gal hex betta tank ( done twice a week and the tank has been cycled and running for 3 months ) . I noticed for the first time today, that there was a revolting looking growth of....snotlike/jellyfied substance on the suction cups of the heater. I have since whipped those out and blasted it under the tap to remove all traces, but I am morbidly curious as to what it is. It was a horrid greyish colour, much like the phlegm smokers cough up ( sorry, best way to describe it. ) :sick:

I will note that I have been treating the tank with the appropriate measure of melafix for the past 3 days, as Duncan ( the fish ) ripped his tail on an unseen protrusion on the bogwood I had in the tank ( since removed and replaced with a smooth ornament) . Could the addition of melafix have been a factor in causing this? Or is it some freakish bacterial growth? It certainly doesn't look like any sort of algae, and isn't white and fibrous like a slime mould. We do not overfeed the fish, and I am stumped as to why this stuff was lurking.

Any ideas as to what it is?


Here's a picture.

13-08-08_2057.jpg
 
I think thats just some kind of algae. I have that growing on most of my suction cups too.
 
I get that sometimes as well. Comes off easily. No idea what it is but it's never caused problems as far as I can tell and only grows on the rubbery stuff.
 
Same as everyone else. I get it, it comes off easy, doesn't seem to do any harm, only likes the rubber things, I don't know what it is or why it grows on the rubber things.

Its just one of those things you accept.....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top