Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Otocinclus are beautiful! I love them intensely - but that doesn't alter the fact that corydoras are real characters. They are like retired majors sent back from India on half-pay, who spend their time snuffling port and nuts and reminiscing about the lost Empire and complaining about the Youth Of Today.

How can you not love such personable little souls?
well i just do not like them, as i said i think they are boring and i have heard some people say that they are better than otocinclus so i think that made me hate them and also i find them just mundane, i am glad that you like them but i still do not like them and still think that they are ugly and boring, if you want to keep them go ahead, more power to you.

Yeah! Don't hold back, Fishmaniac. :grr:
ok i will go in a rant (kinda) about it.
The corydoras never caught my attention, they were always a fish that saw it and my reaction was "nah", so I discovered the otocinclus and fell in love, it was beautiful, fun and adorable so I decided to buy a group of otocinclus for my 10 gallon aquarium , They were great, playful, curious, voracious, adorable, just perfect, so I decided to look more about otocinclus and their different species (I have macrotocinclus affinis) and on YouTube and in other forums I found that people were always criticizing them saying they were delicate fish that died with any fluctuation in parameters or temperatures and that were very nervous and always in the forums and videos said that if you were planning to have otocinclus it was better to buy corydoras because "" they were worth more your money "" and in my experience everything That was a lie and since corydoras were already a fish that I had never liked in appearance or personality, knowing that many people despised my favorite fish and adored to a fish that I did not like saying that it was better because that made me not like the corydora even more, even so I decided to give it a try and investigate more about corydoras and maybe buy a group of pygmy corydoras, but see them writhing in the background like An earthworm made me like them less especially when comparing them with the fine swimming of the otocinclus so I decided not to have them, when I was looking for more otocinclus almost nobody had them and they always had corydoras and they were always varieties with ugly colors but very expensive then I started talking with more aquarists and everyone always felt attacked when I said I didn't like corydoras. It was so between their price, their lack of attractiveness and personality and their fangirls ended up making him detest the corydora. If you want to have corydoras go ahead and enjoy them, love them and take proper care of them (just because i do not like them does not mean i want them to be mistreated, do your research people), only respect when I tell you that I do not like them (especially when you are in a thread of controversial and unpopular opinions) and do not try to make me like them or regret my opinion because That will only make me hate them more, don't even try to rub in my face how "adorable" and "funny" they are because they don't seem adorable or funny to me. thanks for coming to my TEDtalk. Any question you have I will answer.

The corydoras never caught my attention, they were always a fish that saw it and my reaction was "nah", so I discovered the otocinclus and fell in love, it was beautiful, fun and adorable so I decided to buy a group of otocinclus for my 10 gallon aquarium , They were great, playful, curious, voracious, adorable, just perfect, so I decided to look more about otocinclus and their different species (I have macrotocinclus affinis) and on YouTube and in other forums I found that people were always criticizing them saying they were delicate fish that died with any fluctuation in parameters or temperatures and that were very nervous and always in the forums and videos said that if you were planning to have otocinclus it was better to buy corydoras because "" they were worth more your money "" and in my experience everything That was a lie and since corydoras were already a fish that I had never liked in appearance or personality, knowing that many people despised my favorite fish and adored to a fish that I did not like saying that it was better because that made me not like the corydora even more, even so I decided to give it a try and investigate more about corydoras and maybe buy a group of pygmy corydoras, but see them writhing in the background like An earthworm made me like them less especially when comparing them with the fine swimming of the otocinclus so I decided not to have them, when I was looking for more otocinclus almost nobody had them and they always had corydoras and they were always varieties with ugly colors but very expensive then I started talking with more aquarists and everyone always felt attacked when I said I didn't like corydoras. It was so between their price, their lack of attractiveness and personality and their fangirls ended up making him detest the corydora. If you want to have corydoras go ahead and enjoy them, love them and take proper care of them (just because i do not like them does not mean i want them to be mistreated, do your research people), only respect when I tell you that I do not like them (especially when you are in a thread of controversial and unpopular opinions) and do not try to make me like them or regret my opinion because That will only make me hate them more, don't even try to rub in my face how "adorable" and "funny" they are because they don't seem adorable or funny to me. thanks for coming to my TEDtalk. Any question you have I will answer.
It’s good you got that off your chest. Do you feel better now :lol:

Gentle ribbing isn't your strongest point, is it? :blink:

Neon tetras are mean little turds.

Alright, I’ll bite.
I’ve got 9 diamond neons swimming in my 20 long, have been perfectly healthy and very peaceful.

they’re beautiful little fish, but I figured I would a little bit more blue to the scene, so I picked up 6 neons and they are in the time out 10 gallon.

there seems to be 4 of them that are shoaling, with the biggest one harassing the other 5. Mostly it’s just the four swimming together, and the other two are hiding amongst the heater or driftwood, until it’s feeding time.

I’ve been led to believe that neons and diamond neons will shoal together, but I want the regular neons to finish their quarantine before I separate them. I’m seeing evidence of fin nipping and also witnessing some fin nipping.

anything I can do to curb the aggression in a quarantine tank?

Also, anyone else upset that quarantine has been hi jacked for Covid use rather than a safe way to add fish to an aquarium?

Alright, I’ll bite.
I’ve got 9 diamond neons swimming in my 20 long, have been perfectly healthy and very peaceful.

they’re beautiful little fish, but I figured I would a little bit more blue to the scene, so I picked up 6 neons and they are in the time out 10 gallon.

there seems to be 4 of them that are shoaling, with the biggest one harassing the other 5. Mostly it’s just the four swimming together, and the other two are hiding amongst the heater or driftwood, until it’s feeding time.

I’ve been led to believe that neons and diamond neons will shoal together, but I want the regular neons to finish their quarantine before I separate them. I’m seeing evidence of fin nipping and also witnessing some fin nipping.

anything I can do to curb the aggression in a quarantine tank?

Also, anyone else upset that quarantine has been hi jacked for Covid use rather than a safe way to add fish to an aquarium?
You could try adding more plants to break up the line of sight. I just use excess plants from my other tanks. It will be safer for the two to hide in plants than around the heater. I think neons establish a hierarchy then are more peaceful after a few days.

You could try adding more plants to break up the line of sight. I just use excess plants from my other tanks. It will be safer for the two to hide in plants than around the heater. I think neons establish a hierarchy then are more peaceful after a few days.

i forgot to mention that they are being quarantined along with 3 anubias nana plants. At this point it doesn’t offer much cover, but I just checked on them and they are all shoaling peacefully, inconsistent little buggers...

Time for some real unpopular opinions.
  • In a realistic scenario nitrates are never an issue unless breeding fish.
  • Stocking advice is super inconsistent. If an Oscar can be kept in a 75 gallon (4 body lengths of adult oscar) then a betta can be comfortably in a 2 gallon (4 body lengths).
  • Your tap water pH (unless extreme) is fine for 99% of fish (unless breeding)
  • An ammonia of over (Insert ppm here) won't stall your fishless* cycle.

i guess not, i do not even know what ribbing means.
Ah! Sorry!

It means gentle, good-natured teasing.

Of course you have every right to like/dislike a particular variety of fish - I don't like angelfish myself - and you don't have to justify it to anyone - it's just how you feel about them.

I didn't mean to upset you- apologies.

Ah! Sorry!

It means gentle, good-natured teasing.

Of course you have every right to like/dislike a particular variety of fish - I don't like angelfish myself - and you don't have to justify it to anyone - it's just how you feel about them.

I didn't mean to upset you- apologies.
no problem. All good mate.

How could anyone not like angelfish? they are one of the coolest things in the freshwater aquarium.
They look sly . . . .

. . . and have the cold, dead eyes of an aquatic sociopath . . .

. . . and they chase the other fish and nip their fins . . .

. . . and BITE them.

And then they SNEER!

Plus they look like they've been steamrollered. d:D

They look sly . . . .

. . . and have the cold, dead eyes of an aquatic sociopath . . .

. . . and they chase the other fish and nip their fins . . .

. . . and BITE them.

And then they SNEER!

Plus they look like they've been steamrollered. d:D
This is the most strangest opinion I have ever heard about Angelfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back