Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

People that buy fry from pet shops just to feed bigger fish

One thing that gets to me riled up

I know it’s how things would be In the wild but the fish we keep have never seen the wild(most of them)

the thought of a little life only having weeks to live at the most before meeting it’s death seems really horrible

Last edited:

I know it’s how things would be I’m the wild but the fish we keep have never seen the wild(most of them)

the thought of a little life only having weeks to live at the most before meeting it’s death seems really horrible
It's also completely unnecessary and only exists because of the bloodlust of the fishkeeper.

I suspect that this will be an unpopular opinion amongst some...and very popular amongst others, (perhaps a 'Marmite' opinion?);

Children should not be allowed to participate [IN THE FORUM] without the provision of Parental Consent and involvement.

I know lots of children. I even have a couple. I find them to be tolerant, inclusive and lacking prejudices. Exactly the kind of people I like to be around. ;)

That would be 'participate' as in the forum.
I'd go for under 16 as officially children.
The Parental Consent would be for protection of the child AND Forum members...plus, when things start to go badly wrong, the Mod Team should have the option of contacting the responsible adult.
Pretty sure this already exists by American law(I think), though it is under 13.

I know it’s how things would be In the wild but the fish we keep have never seen the wild(most of them)

Some fish refuse to eat anything but this. Personally not against the practice though I doubt I would do it myself.

Most Gourami should be kept in large groups. They are social fish not all that different from Tetra or Barbs.
Gourami aren't territorial except for the time they breed.

How about "Try to save money ,or just get out of the hobby?". The more you learn? The more you need to spend since you can't use "I didn't know" as an excuse to try and filter a 240 gallon with sponge filters.
I know that I needed a bigger pump..and then realized I could save money unplugging the heater spring to fall. My Rainbows stay at mid 70's or so. The room's window is my "ADA Twinstar"..and I found that better to use sheer curtain as direct sun was too much for the plants- and too sudden. But they like less but bright lights now.
I know live food is a wonder thing. Loaches grow like weeds on Tubifex worms for example...so,not wanting to spend not just the money- but the weekly LFS trips for more worms.. I went to beefheart,cooked shrimps,krill from the market..flake foods. Fish do not grow as fast..but seem perfectly healthy.
But knowing more pretty much stops me from going multiple tanks like the old days. Water isn't cheap in California.

This is a family friendly forum so all ages are welcome. Anyone disrespecting a fellow member will garner attention from the moderators who read most if not all posts on the forum.

This is a family friendly forum so all ages are welcome. Anyone disrespecting a fellow member will garner attention from the moderators who read most if not all posts on the forum.
I'm not sure what information this forum receives from it's users but if it gets information such as IP address etc.. then it falls under the rules set by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Which means I believe you need to be over 13 to be a member on forums. In that sense there is a age restriction.
Not sure if it applies here though.

Does this act apply to UK residents on non-UK websites? I know that EU GDPR privacy laws apply to EU residents regardless of where the website is based.

Does this act apply to UK residents on non-UK websites? I know that EU GDPR privacy laws apply to EU residents regardless of where the website is based.
As far as I know it does but I really don't know the details of how it works.

All discussion forums, including VB/Xenforo like this one, have the option to include the age limit of 13 when the template is being built...the admin/builder can choose what he/she wants from the setup and membership "rulebook" tick boxes. Doesn't matter where in the world the site is based, the template is the same and the choices for setup are the same. This one "should" have the age limit of 13 box ticked - when registering a potential new user will be asked if they are over 13 if the box has been ticked on initial build setup by the admin

Of course there are those who will make up a date of birth in order to bypass the 13 years old, nothing anyone can do about that

Also on all forums there is another tick box for the builder to vet all membership applications before confirming...I specifically liked that option as it made IP tracing and behaviour vetting easier so I could refuse applications to join on the grounds of being a known spammer or troublemaker. There are several check sites that an admin can use to cross reference IP's and usernames to see if anyone joining (or already joined who is causing concern) has a track record of being banned or getting warnings for bad language/behaviour.

No posts on a forum are ever deleted, they remain on the site memory for as long as the site is in existance and even after a site is defunct, you can still pull up old posts from years after a site is taken down.

(I spent a long time building forums for an owner based in the US, but although I am UK based, the software is universal, so that 13 and over rule is there to be used when building all forums)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back