Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta fish, Barbs, livebearers, and tetras are not good beginner fish
Glowlight and flametail tetras are pretty good beginner fish. But yeah barbs are aggressive, same with bettas and a lot of tetras are actually fairly sensitive and fragile. Tetras also suck with anything that has long fins.

Glowlight and flametail tetras are pretty good beginner fish. But yeah barbs are aggressive, same with bettas and a lot of tetras are actually fairly sensitive and fragile. Tetras also suck with anything that has long fins.
Many people tend to forget that our cute little tetras seem to share the same dentition as their larger Piranha cousins.

had 10 and they constantly fought with one another, nipped each others fins, and even bit one of the face off one of them. Nothing but conflicts with them and they've started going after my other fish in the tank too, so I ended up rehoming all 10 lol

Theyre meaner than my skirt tetras and cherry barbs combined haha
They make great angelfish and discus food

I may have just thought of an actual unpopular opinion!

El' Cheapo test strips will do the job just as well as the better test kits most of the time.

Assuming that the test strip will at least show that there is ammonia or nitrite that is all that is really needed the majority of the time.

Something goes wrong, test strip showing ammonia? It doesn't matter how much is in there the steps to fix it are the same.

Test strips are also quick and easy to use so makes monitoring an issue a lot easier.

Using both strips and liquid at the same time, I find my eyesight is too bad to judge anything at all on a strip. I tried JBL strips that use your phone camera to measure the colour, but I found it was always over-estimating nitrate.... though for most purposes that might be good thing.

Totally see the point the point about an ammonia test strip..... main thing you need to know is "zero" and "not zero"

Years ago, a friend of mine used to bring his test kit and a water sample over to me to test due to him being severely colourblind

Whether strips or liquid testing, he was completely lost on identifying the colours so I had to test his aquarium samples for him and advise where necessary on the chemistry

As far as I am aware there are no test kits available for severe colourblindness.....?

I think that's why I have settled on non API liquid testing, and even then JBL wide range pH looks same to me from 6 to 8. so that will replaced with a narrow range pH test when both that and my old API pH kit run out

I might post 'worst fish for beginners and even beyond"..but for now Discus numero uno,Neons second,Tiger barbs 3. Mollies- almost begging for your healthy tank to suddenly break out into ick and fungus by adding Mollies. Hatchet fish..like Ropefish..WILL jump or crawl out every chance they get- like the first night after you bought them.
Red tail sharks..hardy,but that chase all other fish gets old..annoying. Beautiful fish- a tough call.
H.plecostomus. Unless it is a big fish tank.they will make a mess as they grow. Tear up plants,big poop,and turn nice driftwood into thin sticks!
Just a few. Plenty more to add.
All these fish can be great fish...just never make a mistake. Never.

I started keeping fish at 10 years old...but that was with my dad's help and guidance since he had been keeping fish for at least 30 years prior.

I do not think anyone under 16 should get into fishkeeping unless they have a parent or sibling who is experienced who is able and who is willing to teach the basics and just support them whilst they learn how to do it properly and humanely.

Gone are the days where you can just bung a goldfish in a bowl and be done with it.....its all gone very complicated nowadays and thats just choosing the right equipment to use according to the fish you intend having, never mind the buying of the fish and the ongoing husbandry that they need. Youngsters don't always have the attention span or the ability to follow instructions without someone prodding them.....many a fish ends up in an ammonia soup due to its child owner becoming bored or "can't be bothered".

Participate in fishkeeping?
What age do you consider ”children“?
That is the hard bit. I have known some 12 year olds that would be great setting up a fish tank and some 16 year olds that would be a nightmare.

As an old fart myself I would say 16+. I know this is unfair to a whole bunch of kids that are younger than this but mature enough to deal with it. Just that by 16 it's safer to assume the majority are responsible enough. I believe in the UK you can't buy animals under the age of 16 anyway.

Also as @Bruce Leyland-Jones said if you are younger then that you should just have an adult involved that is hopefully going to make sure things are done right.

Edit: think I just saw the particular post prompting this opinion. Makes me want to bash my head against the wall. We have to just try and remind ourselves that the person we are talking to may by young or even have mental health considerations such as ASD.

Last edited:
I do not think anyone under 16 should get into fishkeeping unless they have a parent or sibling who is experienced who is able and who is willing to teach the basics and just support them whilst they learn how to do it properly and humanely.
I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion, but I think I disagree. That is because I started fishkeeping when I was 14, and didn’t have any family members who are experienced fish keepers. Do I think the average 14 year old should keep fish? NO! But that is why I think it is hard to put a specific age limit to it, because everyone is in a different situation and has a different level of maturity. I think that while a parent or family member who has experience would be ideal, not all kids are going to have that. What is more important is having a parents or family member who will encourage them to learn to do it well, and be able to monitor it to make sure its not just gonna be neglected. There is a group of kids (12-16) that will get started, see that something is not right, and work to change it and ultimately learn from experience. There’s the other group of kids (and even adults) who will say “it’s just a fish”, and subject it to poor care and a cramped tank. I think it is more the attitude or heart behind it than age, as maturity levels vary so much. I wouldn’t trust many adults with a fish, while I have an 8 yr old cousin who I know would do great. Part of taking part in a hobby is learning, and I think if all kids without an experienced family member were looked down upon for keeping fish, it would take every bit of joy out of the hobby for many people.

Participate in fishkeeping?
What age do you consider ”children“?
That would be 'participate' as in the forum.
I'd go for under 16 as officially children.
The Parental Consent would be for protection of the child AND Forum members...plus, when things start to go badly wrong, the Mod Team should have the option of contacting the responsible adult.

That would be 'participate' as in the forum.
I'd go for under 16 as officially children.
The Parental Consent would be for protection of the child AND Forum members...plus, when things start to go badly wrong, the Mod Team should have the option of contacting the responsible adult.
Ohhhhhhh ok. That would be very reasonable. I’ve met some very very very snarky young teenagers. The lack of respect is just insane

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back