unknown things sticking on the wall of my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

drpenquin

Reaction score
hi, there's recently tiny little specs sticking in my tank walls. so far I haven't seen them move at all but whenever i see them in any way, i always try to remove them. they don't look like snail eggs at all and when you inspect them out of the water, they have this clear hard skin and the inside of it is usually whitish yellow. any guesses what this is? could it be harmful in my tank? (btw when you crush them they sound just like snail eggs being crushed but I can't seem to think they are since they look so different.) sorry for the bad quality photo. they're so small my cam can't focus on them properly
62E59ECD-313A-46B8-8938-062143AB1D26.jpeg

additional note: they actually don't stay on top of the water line, they're usually way down in the tank. i pulled them up to get a better picture

Can't tell much from the picture but if they are down at the bottom it would seem to me they are emerging from the gravel.

I'd have to see a better picture to be sure, but it looks like it might be baby snails or freshwater limpets. Both harmless. By the way, do you happen to have nerite snails? If so, they could be nerite eggs.

I'd have to see a better picture to be sure, but it looks like it might be baby snails or freshwater limpets. Both harmless. By the way, do you happen to have nerite snails? If so, they could be nerite eggs.
I dont have any nerite snails, only an apple snail. But they dont look like baby snails at all😅

Can't tell much from the picture but if they are down at the bottom it would seem to me they are emerging from the gravel.
I dont have any nerite snails, only an apple snail. But they dont look like baby snails at all😅
update, i just saw a zoomed in picture of a freshwater limpet. Turns out they are. Kinda feel bad crushing them now, but thank you. really thought they were dangerous

Yes, freshwater limpets. I have them in my shrimp tank. They are difficult to remove from the glass as they slide up and down rather than come off the glass. I usually slide them off the top of the tank walls into a tissue, though that's impossible with a tank which has a top trim.

This is one reason why I never use the same equipment in both tanks - two sets of water changing stuff including buckets, for example. I do not want limpets in my main tank.

Picture is kind of hard to tell, but they may be fish or snail eggs?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back