Unknown Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KruseZoo

Reaction score
I have have my beautiful betta, Zoey, for a while now, I just came to realize that I dont know what kind she is! She has very long fins for a female. We got her from a LFS who know what they are talking about. She was in a tank with mollies, platys, guppies, and a few other females. We bought her for our 10 gallon. We thought that it would be fun to gradually introduce another female. We got the female in the tank and Zoey beelined for her! It looked like she was going to kill her! She we were wondering if we had an underly aggressive male or an overly aggressive female. Also what breed she is. Thanks
flowers.gif

** We were wondering not she were wondering

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 130
Hard to tell from the pic but Zoey, really does look to be a male veiltail.
I have kept male fighters with all sorts of other fish and most times the males have been placid and accepting of the other fish. However if Zoey is a male then introducing a female or male into"its tank will bring out agression/ fighting, especially aggression to a female if Zoey as a male has not produced a bubble and showed his willingness to breed, or if the female was not ready to breed.

Thanks Baccus! Even if she is a male, "she" will always be "she" haha

Welcome to the forum!
good.gif

Yup, as Baccus has said, Zoey is a veil tail male. If you still have the new betta in the same tank you need to immediately and permanently separate them, otherwise they could easily kill each other.

If you want to keep multiple bettas, get a group of 6+ females, and just be sure to check images of females out on google first so you get a good idea of what to buy in shops
good.gif

Oh, Flute the other female has had her own 5 gallon tank for months now! The second we saw "him" try to attack her, we immediately went and bought a new tank:) Thanks:)

Since the original Queston has been properly answered I would like to address?inform you on something else. Lets say your Male was actually a female.. It is actually quite common for females that have established a territory in a tank to attack other new females especially if there's only two female B. Splendens. The more dominant one will harras the other one and possibly kill her

Fantastic :good: Would love to see a photo of her too :D (I have a huge soft spot for females :p).

And >.< is correct, which is why we recommend keeping females as either single specimens or in groups of 6+, as this spreads the aggression out well :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back