Unexplained red gourami deaths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chuunofish

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 90g which is 3 months old, ph 7, ammonia nitrite, nitrate, phosphate all 0, kh5, gh8 tank has 9 zebra danio 6 otos , 1 emperor pleco, 2 pearl gourami and 2 red gourami. Lots of plants and wood all seemed fine. Last week the Male red started looking very weak, very lethargic unless I was trying to catch him had problems with swimming upright but no real issues with buoyancy. Next morning he was dead. Today same thing with the female. No visible signs of parasites, discolouration, or lesions. Have had them from LFS for 3 weeks.they seemed really happy for the first few weeks.
Any ideas on what may have caused this and should I worry about the rest?

Dwarf gourami are very very prone to disease, particularly DGD which claims many of them. At no fault to you. Just poor luck with them. Finding healthy dwarf gourami is very difficult.

Since you also have pearl gourami in the same tank, do not get more dwarf gourami. Mixing them is risky because there is a rare chance virus can spread to other gourami species.

It's no good that your nitrate levels are 0, it indicates that you tank isn't cycled and you do not need to include your phosphate levels.

Its possible to have 0 nitrates. Tank is 3 months old and fairly stocked, they should have a cycle unless their filter was changed or broken down.

Lots of plants can reduce nitrates to nothing (which makes me jealous ha!)

It's no good that your nitrate levels are 0, it indicates that you tank isn't cycled and you do not need to include your phosphate levels.
Tank has cycled, ammonium, nitrates and nitrite have all been high and managed with regular water changes I have been measuring daily for 12 weeks, after the initial cycle I did have an ammonia spike when the plec was added but treated with niteout and amorax filter media to reduce rapidly as had fish was around week 7 I happy tank has cycled unless it is normal for an upcycled tank to produce high levels of ammonia followed by nitrite followed by nitrate all reduced to current level.

Tank has cycled, ammonium, nitrates and nitrite have all been high and managed with regular water changes I have been measuring daily for 12 weeks, after the initial cycle I did have an ammonia spike when the plec was added but treated with niteout and amorax filter media to reduce rapidly as had fish was around week 7 I happy tank has cycled unless it is normal for an upcycled tank to produce high levels of ammonia followed by nitrite followed by nitrate all reduced to current level.
But I'm sorry, nitrate of 0ppm is indicating that your tank isn't cycled at all :(
I know it's frustrating.

But I'm sorry, nitrate of 0ppm is indicating that your tank isn't cycled at all :(
I know it's frustrating.

I know it's frustrating.
I bow to your superior knowledge, how will I know that it has cycled as this is the data which suggests it has so not sure how I will tell when it has cycled

Attachments

• 20200507_212219.jpg
    20200507_212219.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I bow to your superior knowledge, how will I know that it has cycled as this is the data which suggests it has so not sure how I will tell when it has cycled
Lol, technically your test strips will tell you or API Master Kit.
You have to test your every single day to see how it goes on and if your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0ppm for 7 continuous days ^_^
Hope this helps! :lol:

Lol, technically your test strips will tell you or API Master Kit.
You have to test your every single day to see how it goes on and if your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0ppm for 7 continuous days ^_^
Hope this helps! :lol:
If you look at the chart that's what I did, nitrate levels followed and reduced to 0, as nitrifying bacteria can form on any surface in the aquarium is it possible that the large piece of wood is acting similar to live rock would in a reef tank?

If you look at the chart that's what I did, nitrate levels followed and reduced to 0, as nitrifying bacteria can form on any surface in the aquarium is it possible that the large piece of wood is acting similar to live rock would in a reef tank?
Yes you're right, but basically 0ppm of nitrates indicates that your tank is not cycled.

Found this for you:

'A reading of 0 Nitrate means either the tank is extremely clean, or completely without a functional cycle. Or maybe a tank without any live animals. If you want a cycle you need someone pooing in there. ... If not Nitrate, then nitrite. If not nitrite, then ammonia should be present'

Which, in your case, your tank is uncycled..

Ok, now I am confused, it has had all those things and they have reduced to 0, i am using RO water and 10-20% water changes per week. So maybe it is just very clean, I am also doing 2ml seachem flourish twice per week as plant food

Sorry, @Salty&Onion, i have to disagree. The tank can be cycled and still show 0 nitrate. It isnt the norm, but not impossible, especially with the use of chemical media that reduces nitrates. I use Nitrazorb which reduces nitrate. In a tank of low nitrate (a 90 gal with that stock is pretty lightly stocked), chemical filtration can reduce nitrate to nothing.

Sorry, @Salty&Onion, i have to disagree. The tank can be cycled and still show 0 nitrate. It isnt the norm, but not impossible, especially with the use of chemical media that reduces nitrates. I use Nitrazorb which reduces nitrate. In a tank of low nitrate (a 90 gal with that stock is pretty lightly stocked), chemical filtration can reduce nitrate to nothing.
There is a nitrate filter in the juwel filter stack

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back