Unexpected day 1 results

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RandyGD

Reaction score
So yesterday I set up a 10g tank to begin cycling. I did not add any animals, though I did add plants from a local fish store and it's possible they carried some eggs or other small animals. I added root tabs to the substrate where I planted some cryptocoryne and I added one pump of fertilizer after completing the setup.

I tested the water last night for ammonia and got ~0.25-0.5ppm

This morning, the water was very cloudy, which I know can be normal when cycling a new tank. But then I tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and got the following results:
-Ammonia: 0ppm
-Nitrite: 5ppm
-Nitrate: 10-20ppm

I tested again several hours later and got the same results. Is this normal? If not, any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

From your results it seems that some kind of bacteria / algae are "trying to steal the show".

Adding fertilizer during the startup of the cycle is a little risky business. If a too large quantity of algae / cyanobacter appears they will melt your plants. And steal all the food from the mouth of your good bacteria colony.

Do a water change to dilute the amount of nutrients in the water and cut back the light intensity and period.

Add a bio enhancer product like Fluval Bio-Enhancer or Cycle.

In a small tank like that, a few drops of fertilizer a week is probably enough.

I am not sure from where the ammonia came. It may have been the ferts. But live plants host nitrifying bacteria which would explain the drop in ammonia and presence of nitrite.

Did you test your tap water parameters?

Hopefully, new plants come with a store of nutrients. The normally do not require ferts. initially. If your store is a decent one then they should know how long they have had their plants and would give them ferts as needed.

I do an assortment of crypts and I normally add substrate fert. for them every 3 months or so. But I have more than just crypts in tanks so I am also adding water borne ferts. for them.

The liquid ferts. are currently likely feeding bacteria, and not the nitrifiers and this is why your water is cloudy.

Apologies for the late reply, but thank you both for your replies!

My water cleared up within a day. I've continued testing daily and am still reading ~0.25ppm ammonia every day, which I suspect is coming from some plant leaves that fell off when I was planting and that I just left in the water. Today, the nitrite levels were higher than they ever have been, at 2ppm, while nitrate levels have remained ~5ppm.

I assume the plants had some beneficial bacteria on them, explaining the presence of nitrite/nitrate this early in the process, but if anyone thinks something else is at play, please let me know. Thanks again!

Also, constant ammonia at .25 ppm for days in a row is usually a false result. The reason is logical when you think about it. If you have some established and functioning ammonia processing bacteria, they multiply in response to there being more ammonia than they need to thrive. This is how we get a tank cycled for a full load of fish. Since you appear to have some number of working ammonia bacteria, it is not possible to keep a .25 ppm reading for more than about 3 or 4 hours before the bacteria should have reproduced enough to handle it. This assumes that there was more than .25 ppm put in at the start.

Next, if I were to offer you a prize of $5,000 to create a tank which I could test any time I wanted 3 times every day over a one week period then you would win the prize if I tested ammonia at .25 ppm for every test. My money would be safer than if it was stashed in a vault in a bank. You would need to buy some very expensive equipment to make this happen intentionally, it would cost you more than $5,000. (Hint, it would be easier to win if there are 0 ammonia bacteria in the tank. But ammonia is still a gas and it evaporates from water).

Lastly, there are things that can interfere with ammonia testing. One is iron in the water. But there are several more things which might also do it.

The point here is not to trust a low level (.25-.50 ppm) ammonia reading that never changes over time. This is especially true if you know the tank should be cycled because it means there are nitrifying bacteria at work.

Wait a minute, there is one more possibility. One could be testing incorrectly. But that is hard to be doing regularly because we tend to learn over time how to be testing correctly if we don't quite do so at first.

edited for typos and spelling errors.

Last edited:
Ok, and now to throw a wrench in things...I tested again just now and got 0ppm ammonia.

Also, it was a very poor and inaccurate choice of words to say I got 0.25ppm ammonia literally every day, it's more accurate to say that's been the average.

I'll post what I've logged this past week and let the numbers speak for themselves:

DAY 1:
-Ammonia: ~0.25-0.5ppm
-Nitrite: 0ppm
-Nitrate: 0ppm

DAY 2:
-Ammonia: 0ppm
-Nitrite: 5ppm (probably 0.5 and I just miswrote it)
-Nitrate: 10-20ppm

DAY 3:
-Ammonia: ~0.5ppm
-Nitrite: ~0.5ppm
-Nitrate: 5ppm

DAY 4, BEFORE topping water off:
-Ammonia: 0.25ppm
-Nitrite: 0.25ppm
-Nitrate: ~5ppm

DAY4, AFTER topping water off (with conditioned water):
-Ammonia: 0ppm (or slightly above)

DAY 5:

DAY 6:
-Nitrite: 0.25ppm
-Nitrate: 5ppm

DAY 7 (today):
-Ammonia: 0.25ppm (later 0ppm)
-Nitrite: 2ppm
-Nitrate: 5-10ppm

Are you adding ammonia to the tank? I see no reason for the ammonia levels to go up ever unless there is something making ammonia.

Basically, your numbers are moving up and down without any explanation for why this might be happening. To have nitrite levels rise you must have ammonia being added in some way.

Also, live plant want ammonium (NH4) while the bacteria prefer ammonia (NH3). The amount of each of these two forms in water depends upon the pH and temperature of the water. The higher these are, the more of the ammonia that will be in the NH3 form.

While the plants can use ammonium much faster than the bacteria can use NH3, the more plants one has, the less NH3 that will be available for the bacteria. Bear in mind that if either NH3 or NH4 is removed, the balance dictated by the pH and temperature will cause things to rebalance quickly.

To understand this all one needs to realize that in a tank without live plants, only two things can take up ammonia/ammonium one is obviously the nitrifying bacteria but the other can be algae. However, ignoring algae for a minute we come to see this. One can have a tank with no live plants and the result is that the bacteria will develop and multiply and will handle the ammonia. However, no matter how many live plants we might have in a tank, there will still be some amount of bacteria present and working as well.

In water where all of the ammonia is in the form of NH4 (as one approaches pH 6.0 and under this will be the case), the bacteria can still use this, but they will do soo much less efficiently than they can process NH3.

However, for either plants (or algae) and bacteria to thrive, they need Nitrogen and that usually comes from ammonia in a tank.

So back to the tank in this thread, my question becomes are you dosing ammonia? If not is there something continuously dying and rotting in the tank? If you are not adding ammonia, then once it begins to drop it shold go to zero since no more is being added or created. And this means that no increase in nitrite or nitrate should happen.

The numbers you are reporting are not possible in the absence of regular ammonia additions. These could come from your adding the ammonia or ammonium chloride, the presence of live animals- from snails to fish and then from decomposing organic matter. But you are not recounting any of these things being done or ongoing. So I see no reason for the numbers you report.

Here is the best part of cycling, it is a process and it has to follow a series of steps. And when it comes to the typical test kit methods, we are reading on the total Ion scale. What this means is the as ammonia turns to nitrite. There will nbe more ppms of nitrite than there were for ammonia, And when that nitrite turns to nitrate, the ppms again get higher.

The cycle is complete when, for the amount of ammoina being added there is no reading created for nitrite and the nitrate will be the only number rising. While ammonia might evaporate, nitrate will not. So unless we have denitrification involved (nit coomion in most tanks) then the nitrate must be handled. This can be done bu live plants and/or water changes.

You plants are processing some of the nitrogen compounds but clearly nowhere near all of them. However, from where is the ammonia coming? Not only are you not adding any, both the plants and evaporation would be using the ammonia as well as any bacteria. And any ammonia used by plants or reduced from evaporation will not create any nitrite and thus no nitrate either.

Next, as time passes whith ammonia constantly being supplied, the bavcteria that handle nitrite will also multiply and then you see nitrite dropt to and stay at 0. The one wild card in your tank is how much nitrate might be created and then how fast the plants or water changes might use it. Evaporation will reduce ammonia some, but not nitrate. Only plants (or lagae )using it and/or water changes will lower nitrate. Most tanks will never have nough denitrification at work to make a serious dent in Nitrate levels.

Lots of good information, thank you!

I am not adding ammonia, but there are some dead/decaying plant leaves floating around in the tank, which I left in because my understanding is they will produce ammonia. I also added Aquarium Co-Op root tabs and Easy Green fertilizer after setting up the tank.

If none of those sources are producing the ammonia then I have no idea where the ammonia could be coming from.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back