Uneven floor under aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Discus_phil

Reaction score
So I get my new 5ft tank this week for the new house, the floor where the tank will
Be going is slightly uneven (it’s hardwood flooring)
It’s not slanting to one side it’s more ripples in the floor it’s screed underneath so I imagine the adhesive may have been layed uneven by the previous owner...

At its worst it dips around 4mm do you think that it will be ok? with the weight of the tank at 450litres I can only think of maybe using some nylon packers. The stand is a wood flat pack style one made by the manufacturer.

am I worrying over nothing?

I would use solid metal large washers to shim it to make it level. A 5 Ft tank would be very very heavy. Is the floor strong enough to support the weight?

Remember that 1 cubic metre of water weighs a 1000kg.

make sure you check where the joists are depending on the floor you are going to use

you can always use the washers as above to get the floor level then put down some metal sheeting that the tank will then sit on

It’s on the ground floor, concrete and then screed on top so that’s fine, washers is a good idea

also recommend putting a pad under the aquarium itself, in case there is any twist in the stand as a result of the unevenness. I would say that a "rippled" floor is a slightly better scenario than a "tilted" floor, since you should be able to help with the ripple effect by using padding (a carpet under the stand and a mat under the aquarium) to help balance the load.

Regarding tilt: I went and looked at a second-hand aquarium that I was thinking of buying a few weeks ago, it was tilted one inch over 6 ft (125g tank), and I discovered seepage in the bottom of the side that the tilt was towards (aka the heavier end). The effect of tilt is cumulative over distance, so a tall, narrow tank will not experience as much risk as a stouter, longer/wider tank will.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back