Undergravel Filter and catfish

IBFrog

Reaction score
:drool: I have been reading that cory catfish prefere sand on the bottom of their home. I like undergravel filters (I also use an outside hanging filter. Better super clean than unhealthy home.) I have smooth, reasonably fine gravel and the corys seem to be OK. But, I have not provided catfish with a home before. They are in a 10 gal community aquarium that currently has 2 neons (I want a total of 6), 5 male guppies, and an albino cory and green cory. If I need to switch to sand, I will loose the under gravel filtration. But I want happy catfish. The aquarium is decoratend with some live potted plants, plastic/silk plants, and resin hidding logs. I have taken an interest in oto catfish lately and have thought of adding 2 to this tank. That might make a difference in the bottom strat too. (Yes, I know I may need to move the guppies if I add the otos.) Catfish do add a charm to the community. Thanks for the help.

As long as the substrate is round with no sharp edges, the cories will be fine. Sand is probably best for them, but I do not feel it is a requirement. Again, so long as you use a rounded and not sharp gravel. This is to prevent barbel erosion and potential disease.

\Dan

Just because you wan't sand, doesn't mean you can't use a UG filter. all you need to do is obtain a gravel tidy. this is a shett that you lay on top of your gravel and lets water through, but not the sand you then place on top of it. just use a thin layer of sand with a gravel tidy and you can have the best of both worlds.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back