Type Of Gourami?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
its not dyed :angry:
everyone keeps on say that and no one would listen when i tell them its not dyed
when the store sold it to me the guy said its not dyed and i know the guy too
when i had it the color increased and did not fade
i think it is because no one see these around and i have only seen another one that looked like mine which is polcat's
the guy who works at the store tell me he sees them sometimes when he goes to pick up fish at the wholesaler and they have very little and he tells me the reason why no one has them is because they cost more than normal giants so stores just dont order them
if you still want to think my gourami is dyed just go ahead, but i know its not dyed, im guessing why it is so pink is because i feed it on mainly blood parrot food
it makes my parrots really red so it helps my gourami a lot
like they say, you are what you eat :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your supplier is lying or ill informed, Gold/albino Osphronemus are about the same price as the standard grey ones on all the wholesaler lists I've seen with the dyed ones more expensive. These are commercially farmed food fish and not difficult to produce. The less common red finned giant - Osphronemus laticlavius - is always more expensive but not available in an albino form.
Most dyed O. gorami are injected but dipped ones - same process as dyed oscars - have been seen and I reckon your's has had this done.
Your fish was clearly pink in the fuzzy photo of him as a baby and he's pinker than normal now. The colour food may be helping to keep the unnatural colour up.
Try a google image search for osphronemus goramy and look at the pictures. Natural ones are similar in colour to pink kissing gouramis.
Your fish is not a natural colour - Polcats one is.

I don't see how color enhancing food could enhance dye.. dye fades after around 6 months anyways..
ty like i said my fish is not dyed and i am gonna keep saying that
mine looked the same as polcat's when i barely got it and like you said diademhill, "Polcats one is"
that would mean its not dyed to you either
btw mine didnt come with pink spots all over it, it was a pink all over color just like polcats

g2.jpg

This is my O. goramy. His name is "G". He is only 6 inches right now.

I had one that grew to 14 inches before I foolishly moved him to a tank with totally different water conditions... even O. goramy can get weak and sick from sudden, drastic water quality changes. :(

No mistakes with this guy. He is a beauty. They are full of personality! Enjoy!

That's probably the reason it's so small.. if it was in a 200g tank it would probably be way bigger.

My first O. goramy grew to 14 inches in a 55 gallon tank.

Nice fish :wub:

I have to comment on this tank size thing though... Osphronemus goramy, first of all grow to double 14" lol and stunting only occurs when water changes are not made often enough - the tank size itself doesn't actualy play as big a role as you might think - it is the accumulation of waste products that does.
BUT, that's not the point - restricting such a large fish to such a small, by comparision, space isn't just more likely to cause disease, stunting etc, it's also somewhat unfair on the fish - just consider the sort of room it would have in the wild? I always say that it's best to put fish in the tank size they'll require as full grown adults. That way you provide them with plenty of room to mature, good water quality and stable conditions when it's most important and ensure that they'll have the room tehy need as soon as they grow not - a few months after they've outgrown their inadequately sized tank.

Just to clarify, this is not aimed at Tuishimi - I suspect the tank move you reffered to was to a larger tank anyway - it's just a general thing I wanted to mention :)

Nice fish :wub:

I have to comment on this tank size thing though... Osphronemus goramy, first of all grow to double 14" lol and stunting only occurs when water changes are not made often enough - the tank size itself doesn't actualy play as big a role as you might think - it is the accumulation of waste products that does.
BUT, that's not the point - restricting such a large fish to such a small, by comparision, space isn't just more likely to cause disease, stunting etc, it's also somewhat unfair on the fish - just consider the sort of room it would have in the wild? I always say that it's best to put fish in the tank size they'll require as full grown adults. That way you provide them with plenty of room to mature, good water quality and stable conditions when it's most important and ensure that they'll have the room tehy need as soon as they grow not - a few months after they've outgrown their inadequately sized tank.

Just to clarify, this is not aimed at Tuishimi - I suspect the tank move you reffered to was to a larger tank anyway - it's just a general thing I wanted to mention :)

True enough! I break a lot of "rules". :)

My favorite aquariums are the 45 breeders and aquariums in that general shape. You have a tank of fair height, and good width and length. Lots of swimming space for whoever is in it. The problem is as the aquariums get larger, they take up SO MUCH space.

I could get away with larger aquariums in our old house, which had a 20' by 11' room in the basement dedicated to whatever I wanted to do with it... (I built a discus aquarium into one wall, for example) my current house is half the size (with no basement and cost twice as much, go figure) as my old house. :( Space is at a premium - I've told my wife that the current tank housing "G" is much too small and will have to be replaced... The kids love "G" because he follows them around the tank all day long (you know what I mean) so she will have to let me get a new tank for him. :)

Anyway, I am trying to push some limits with my aquariums, not to be torturous to the fish, but to see what the limits really are and what I can get away with. It's actually amazing how much an established aquarium can handle (to me anyway)... check out some of the Nano marine aquariums for example.

(I know that is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, considering the issues you encounter with massive fish compared to slight fish, etc.)

I have never seen a gourami so purple. I have actually never even seen one that is purple. Its like a purple version of my pink gourami. :lol:
It looks very nice and its very different from all those white ones. Thats exactly why I bought mine.
Not jumping into conclusion or anything even though it is solid purple, but is it dyed?
Also just wondering how much did you get it for?

I have never seen a gourami so purple. I have actually never even seen one that is purple. Its like a purple version of my pink gourami. :lol:
It looks very nice and its very different from all those white ones. Thats exactly why I bought mine.
Not jumping into conclusion or anything even though it is solid purple, but is it dyed?
Also just wondering how much did you get it for?

Noooooo it isn't dyed!!!! :lol: He's just happy! The picture was a good one because the way the flash reflected off of him it enhanced the natural colors of his scales. If you look VERY closely at a lot of the gouramis they have some pearlescence. Actually, "G" looks very much like a Pearl Gourami without the spots. :) He is a beauty. He is going to be jealous of the attention I am paying to my new aquarium...

Thanks for the compliments! As for how much I payed... I honestly don't remember. I tend to not think too much about that when I see something I "have to have". I don't remember him being expensive, nor do I remember him being "cheap". Most people don't want them, so they generally are not too expensive. I bought him at this awesome place in Phoenix. It looks like the biggest hole in the wall, but they have the best selection of fish... they also have outdoor ponds and supplies...

Anyway, I am certain he was under $20, but I don't remember how much under.

Here, btw, is the full-sized image.

LARGE picture of "G". Bandwidth eater!

He's a beauty! That irredescence round his gill area is fantastic - you don't tend to see that in adults - but then you tend to see more xanthic adults anyway.

About the price - I saw a couple of Osphronemus advertised for only £6 the other day. A lot of people tend to 'return' adult or half-grown Osphronemus when they realise they can't accomodate them. Generaly speaking, the smaller ones are cheaper but if you find someone desperate to get rid of their rapidly-growing fish, you can get them realy cheap. I've also seen one mixed with a group of three-spots - apparently mis-labelled and unidentified. I have no idea how they managed to make that mistake but they were selling it for the same price - I think it was around £3 as that's the kind of price you buy three-spots for. basicaly, if you're lucky and look carefuly, you can by a giant for a very modest price.

I noticed that also but I got mine for $50 usd and like i said before the store owner is also my friend so i got it really cheap. i just want another one. gouramis are soooo smart. did you guys know that they love watermelon? my gourami loves them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back