Two questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

emgclover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, ok i have two questions and i would be greatful to any help with either of them.
The first is that yesterday i got 5 new female guppies, all of which look pregnant but at the very begining stages. The thing is one of the females is becomeing very aggressive towards another female and i dont know what to do about it. Do i split them up or just leave them to calm down?
The second question is about my female platy. She has had a gravid spot for about 4 weeks now and doesnt show any signs of dropping. She hasnt got fat! Rarely shows signs that the is pregnant and i'm wondering if i should move her back into the main tank. Yet i dont want to do this because she still has a dark gravid spot :/
What shall i do? :dunno:

On your first question as long as ther is adequate hiding places for the harrassed guppy i would leave them and let them work it out. What size is the tank? if it is 20 gal or over there should be enough space to allow them to stay away from each other most of the time.
On the second question once a livebearer has given birth there will always be a spot at the rear of the fish. This does not mean she is pregnant at this time. Unless she exhibits the big size and you can see the eyes in the gravid spot then i would say it is safe to put her back with the rest of the fish. HTH :)

usualy ull see little darker spots in the gravid spot

Yes, if she is not large and there are no eyes visible then you can be sure that she is nowhere near having babies. In some darker colored platies it is very hard to see the eyes but if she is not large then she may be pregnant but in the very early stages. Platies usually have fry every 28 days plus or minus a few days. HTH :)

Most reactions

Back