Two new mystery snails and, two stowaways?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snagrio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So this time I was prepared properly and got a couple snails after the filter intake sponge guards were added, but apparently two extras came along for the ride that I didn't notice till I got home.

One is very obviously a baby guppy (the snails were in a tank full of them). Wasn't really planning on keeping guppies but I guess we'll see how this little one fares.
IMG_20210208_154250110.jpg
But there's also this tiny little snail. Question is, is this a baby mystery snail or is it one of those annoying pest snails like ram's horn or Malaysian trumpet that take over a tank?
IMG_20210208_153233668.jpg
IMG_20210208_152844536.jpg
If it's a baby mystery all well and good, but if not I might want to destroy it. Had a pest snail issue years ago and would rather not go through that again...

It looks like a bladder snail. If you do not want it, don't put it in the tank. They are prolific breeders. If you are not sure, keep it in a jar until you know. Do you have a picture of the top of the shell?

Looked it up and it's definitely a bladder snail, the exact same type that took over my previous setup years ago. Decided to dispatch it.

They all would be as the tank has glass cover lids and plastic guards for the back openings, but the tubes for the filtration means I have to shift them sideways. Was thinking of putting some kind of cuttable mesh over it but not sure what I can use.

I'm no guppy expert, but the stowaway looks like a female, and she might already be pregnant (I can see something that looks like a gravid spot) - if she has babies it might be adviseable to get a few more guppies from a different source in order to dilute the gene pool a bit, otherwise you might be on your way to a bunch of weak inbred fish, if her offspring keeps breeding with each other. It won't happen overnight, of course, but still - just a heads up. Or give her away if you're not planning on keeping guppies.

I'm no guppy expert, but the stowaway looks like a female, and she might already be pregnant (I can see something that looks like a gravid spot) - if she has babies it might be adviseable to get a few more guppies from a different source in order to dilute the gene pool a bit, otherwise you might be on your way to a bunch of weak inbred fish, if her offspring keeps breeding with each other. It won't happen overnight, of course, but still - just a heads up. Or give her away if you're not planning on keeping guppies.
...Assuming he/she hasn't already been eaten. The tank's mostly empty at this time aside from the snails and two bristlenose plecos, but there's still an adult giant danio and Australian rainbowfish (remnants of an old setup that are living out their twilight years) who'd both be more than capable of swallowing it. I put food in to distract them but I've not seen the little thing since releasing it over 3 hours ago. Granted it's a big tank so it'd be easy for such a small fish to hide out of my sight but even still. Guess I'll see if it pops up over the next few days.

Guppy for dinner, in other words..

Any time you are unsure of a snail species, especially a hitch hiker, best to dispose of it

She lives (pretty sure it's a she, don't see gonopodiums from what I can tell).
IMG_20210209_145303683.jpg
Hanging out in the top left corner. She's even eating the crushed up flake bits I offer for her. Don't normally name fish these days but I'm tempted to make an exception given this is a special case if she continues to hang in there.

Looks like your Mystery snail is already identifying escape routes! ;)
I know. ? It's the most exploration one of the four as well (I purposely got different colors, a blue, a white, a brown and the golden one you see here). Going to look into a quick temporary solution to cover the openings today before I can get something more permanant.

Stuff filter floss into any openings till you can work out something more permanent. Make sure it doesn't touch the water or it's wick water down the outside of the tank.

I've been thinking of cheese cloth. It's cheap, porous for air exchange but very fine to prevent escapes, easy to find and easy to add or cut away for adjustments. That sound good?

I've been thinking of cheese cloth. It's cheap, porous for air exchange but very fine to prevent escapes, easy to find and easy to add or cut away for adjustments. That sound good?
Rinse it well it before using it in the aquarium, and make sure there are no loose threads exposed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back