Two Big White Spots (bumps) On Gold Molly

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tsukinoakari

Reaction score
Hello fellow fish lovers,

I filled out the questionnaire and hope that someone knows what my gold molly has. Basically there are two big white spots on the connection of body to fin tail. I looked up white spot sickness (ich) and fungus but the white spots seems to be too big for ich and not fluffy at all as fungus would indicate.
As indicated below the PH is 7.6, I know that my ph is on the higher end for neon tetras but they don't seem to be stressed out and I acclicated them well before releasing them into the water.

I hope somebody can help me clear the mistery what my gold molly has.
Unfortunatelly I don't have a quarantine tank yet but that is on my list to get today/tomorrow (snow storm here) to treat the molly and be able to proper quarantine new fish in the future.
If any more info is required I'm happy to provide whaterver I can.

I started my aquarium with all the advice/tutorials I got from this forum although I never posted anything as all the questions/answers have been already posted and I'm so thankful I got so far
happy.png
but these white spots are puzzling me.

Thanks,
Lukas

Tank size: 55 Gallon
pH: 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5-10
tank temp: 24.5 Celsius

I have the tank for around 5-6 month and did a full fishless cycle before adding any fish. It is my first freshwater aquarium. I still use the filtration that came with the tank which should be a Whisper PowerFilter 60. I plan to buy a external filter, like a Fluval to have a better filtration system.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
It's a gold molly that has two big white spots on the part where the body becomes the fin tail. It still eats and come sout when it's feeding time but after that it goes into corners and stays on the ground as the other two gold mollys are swiming around as the sick one did before. That is basically it. The gold molly doesn't swim different than before, just slower and on the ground and keeps it low key.
I've also just seen that I can see the white spots from the other side of the fish and it looks like the molly has four big white spots from the other side but they are on the other side and it shines through to the other side (at least that is what it looks like)
The molly still poops as well.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
I do a water change of 50% every weekend and keep the nitrate under 20. I also vaccum the gravel slightly to clean the top layer.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Normal black biological filter with additional carbon filtration cartridges.

Tank inhabitants:
6 Neon Tetras
3 Gold Molly (+ 1 little one, grey one, came as blind passenger with the gold mollys and has the same fin traits so I think it's a molly)
7 Black Phantom Tetras
1 Guppy
3 Amano shrimps
4 Red Cherry shrimps
Many live plants

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
I added recently, like 1.5 month ago, the 6 neon tetras, the red cherry shrimps and a couple of live plants to provide more hiding space.
I already had live plants and a wood ark in the aquarium.
ohh and one amano shrimp is pregnant (need to get another little tank to able to keep the youngs alive)
oh and there is a little algue growing but I counter attack that with less light and trust in the cleaning behaviour of the shrimps :)

Exposure to chemicals:
None at all

Attachments

• MollyTwoBigWhiteSpots_02.jpg
    MollyTwoBigWhiteSpots_02.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 526
Hello,

I keep mollies and have seen this or something very similar before.. I think that it is a bacterial problem.

If you have your quarantine tank then add marine salt (not table salt). Add a little to start with, and build up the concentration to 1 or 2 teaspoons per 10 L of water. Perform daily (or every 2nd day) 50% water changes. Replace the salt lost in the water change. Make sure that you feed some veggies (shelled frozen peas (halved), thinly sliced cucumber (halved again), cooked broccoli etc. Some frozen bloodworms, live whiteworms or Grindal worms etc. will be appreciated.

Try this for a few days and see if there is any improvement.. If the problem remains, then you'll have to look into medication.

I keep most of my mollies in this way.. you probably won't want to in your main tank.. I don't know how your shrimps would react to salt. You would need to ask a shrimp keeper if this is even possible.

Good luck..

Bodge99.

Hi,

That is what I have done so far :) I bought a 10 gallon tank and added a hiding space plus heater/filter. Added some marine salt for the start and increased the temperature to around 25.5 so far.
ok, I have veggies and frozen bloodworms. WIll fead the molly some treats ^_^
Thanks a lot. Hope it will get better soon.

Most reactions

Back