Turtles In A Community Fish Tank?

Doozie

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advice please.

Currently I have a 46 gal (4ft) tank with 3 x cories, 1 x rainbow shark, 1 x angel, 1 x plec, 1 x sucking loach, 5 x gouramis.

I am starting to think about water turtles / terrapins but I don't know anything about them really. I would want to keep most of my fish if I did get one.

Which turtles are small and good for a community tank?
Which fish could I keep / need to get rid of?
What else do I need to consider?

your help appreciated, thanks.

Hi guys I need some advice please.

Currently I have a 46 gal (4ft) tank with 3 x cories, 1 x rainbow shark, 1 x angel, 1 x plec, 1 x sucking loach, 5 x gouramis.

I am starting to think about water turtles / terrapins but I don't know anything about them really. I would want to keep most of my fish if I did get one.

Which turtles are small and good for a community tank?
Which fish could I keep / need to get rid of?
What else do I need to consider?

your help appreciated, thanks.

turtles eat fish....

Turtles would eat your fish or give them really nasty nips at the very least.

I agree withthe above. Also, the smallest turtle I can think of that is commonly available is the Musk turtle, which gets to about 5" and needs around 50 gallons at least. Turtles also need a land area to bask on. So turtles really need their own setups. :)

If you had a bigger tank you could keep a Fly river Turtle with your fish. This is a fully aquatic turtle (doesnt need basking area) an as far as i'm concerned wouldnt touch your fish! I have kept one with my fish for years an he has lived with all kinds of different types - Malawi/Tangs, CA/SA cichlids, Community, Oddballs. The only fish mine ever had problems with was a 12" plec an sting rays but thats only coz of a size issue thing.

Anything else will munch your fish mate! :good:

Most reactions

Back