Turning my 50g from artificial to real plants!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Woke up this morning, one of the plants is floating around, perhaps didnā€™t put it fully in the rock, tried again
Non green thumbed person here.....I am attempting to use both real and silicone plants......silicone plants remain planted, looking awesome, the real ones have been floating for over a week and I have given up trying to plant them now....I have a huge wad of greenery floating on the surface....I have raised the white flag of surrender, my hooligans and vandals have won the battle and the war of the real plants being planted....they wanted them on the top, they can now flippin' well stay on the top.

It is going to be tough, you've so many fish in there and some cichlids are more likely to eat plants than others.

Not sure if you've seen this before but worth checking out - just for the argument that it can work :)

Wills

Non green thumbed person here.....I am attempting to use both real and silicone plants......silicone plants remain planted, looking awesome, the real ones have been floating for over a week and I have given up trying to plant them now....I have a huge wad of greenery floating on the surface....I have raised the white flag of surrender, my hooligans and vandals have won the battle and the war of the real plants being planted....they wanted them on the top, they can now flippin' well stay on the top.

They are just telling you they much rather floating plants lol

It is going to be tough, you've so many fish in there and some cichlids are more likely to eat plants than others.

Not sure if you've seen this before but worth checking out - just for the argument that it can work :)

Wills

I think given itā€™s just 1 floating plant ide say itā€™s pretty successful so far :) I was expecting them to shred it haha

They are just telling you they much rather floating plants lol
I am so past caring about having a neatly pruned and tidy live plant aquarium.....when the wad of greenery dies off (which it no doubt will do), this non green thumbed person is staying with the tried, tested and unkillable silicone plants only.

Tbh the wad of greenery looks a complete mess compared to the silicone plants that are spotlessly clean and where I "planted" them....even the fish are now avoiding being under the wad....tbh I am considering pulling all of the wad and binning it.

Real planting might be the fashionable thing, might win competitions etc....but it ain't always practical or possible or suitable for everyone. As long as the hooligans and vandals are healthy, it just is not worth the hassle of using live plants when the silicone ones do the job perfectly adequately

There is far too much emphasis on real plants being the "must have". It is an option but not essential and no-one should feel pressured into doing something they are not comfortable with or be looked down on just cos they don't have the green thumb.

I am so past caring about having a neatly pruned and tidy live plant aquarium.....when the wad of greenery dies off (which it no doubt will do), this non green thumbed person is staying with the tried, tested and unkillable silicone plants only.

Tbh the wad of greenery looks a complete mess compared to the silicone plants that are spotlessly clean and where I "planted" them....even the fish are now avoiding being under the wad....tbh I am considering pulling all of the wad and binning it.

Real planting might be the fashionable thing, might win competitions etc....but it ain't always practical or possible or suitable for everyone. As long as the hooligans and vandals are healthy, it just is not worth the hassle of using live plants when the silicone ones do the job perfectly adequately

There is far too much emphasis on real plants being the "must have". It is an option but not essential and no-one should feel pressured into doing something they are not comfortable with or be looked down on just cos they don't have the green thumb.

Iā€™m just trying it for the oxygenating and nitrate reducing properties, I also think it looks cool and thereā€™s a sense of achievement in keeping fish + plants alive and thriving :)

Iā€™m just trying it for the oxygenating and nitrate reducing properties, I also think it looks cool and thereā€™s a sense of achievement in keeping fish + plants alive and thriving :)
Whilst I agree that real plants can do wonderful things to the water chemistry....the sense of accomplishment can quickly turn into a sense of abject failure when it all goes pearshaped and you see others with awesome looking aquariums and try to tell you how easy it all is to grow marvelous plants and your's die off within days no matter what you try....and make you feel like the world's worst fishkeeper just cos your Frogbit dies.

Whilst I agree that real plants can do wonderful things to the water chemistry....the sense of accomplishment can quickly turn into a sense of abject failure when it all goes pearshaped and you see others with awesome looking aquariums and try to tell you how easy it all is to grow marvelous plants and your's die off within days no matter what you try....and make you feel like the world's worst fishkeeper just cos your Frogbit dies.
I know what you mean about it being fashionable but I think planted tanks are here to stay as part of the hobby, but dont let plants define if your tank is successful or not. Most people wont be able to keep fish like you do and get such good results on that side. Equally dont be afraid of trying plants it just takes a bit of work sometimes, I find the process fun and enjoy learning the different plants, names, needs, equipment etc. I reckon you need a second tank and give it a go :)

Wills

Yeah what @Wills said lol second tank and plant it up ! Haha

Woke up this morning, one of the plants is floating around, perhaps didnā€™t put it fully in the rock, tried again
Get some super glue made with cyanoacrylate and glue it to the rock. Worked really well for me. Only use a little though

@Wills
@AmyKieran

:p

I am NOT...repeat NOT getting a second aquarium (unless I end up adopting the neighbour's Betta of course)

I finally got down from 6 aquariums to 1 aquarium, I ain't about to start multiplying again thank you very much. Even if I do end up with the neighbour's Betta, I still refuse to go the planted route (no pun intended) cos quite frankly I do not have the financial resources to throw at plants that continually fail....or dealing with fish that refuse to leave the damned plants planted.

Sorry and all that but this non green thumbed person is NOT going green....in ANY respect.

So there :p

@Wills
@AmyKieran

:p

I am NOT...repeat NOT getting a second aquarium (unless I end up adopting the neighbour's Betta of course)

I finally got down from 6 aquariums to 1 aquarium, I ain't about to start multiplying again thank you very much. Even if I do end up with the neighbour's Betta, I still refuse to go the planted route (no pun intended) cos quite frankly I do not have the financial resources to throw at plants that continually fail....or dealing with fish that refuse to leave the damned plants planted.

Sorry and all that but this non green thumbed person is NOT going green....in ANY respect.

So there :p

Haha fair enough :)

Woke up this morning to another plant floating.. but not destroyed! A win in my book :)

Really jammed it in the rock, hopefully it stays there

Woke up this morning to another plant floating.. but not destroyed! A win in my book :)

Really jammed it in the rock, hopefully it stays there
Don't put it back in the same place, who every is ripping it out doesn't like it there. So put it somewhere else.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back