Turning Down Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

55gal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been turning down the filter when I feed the fish and leave it off over night and turn it on every morning. Should I just leave it on all night or is what I am doing ok. I started doing it just because I felt the fish needed to sleep and the filter's flow prevented them from doing it. Could that be harming the tank?

yes sorry but you may as well not have the filter in the tank if you do this because they filter needs bacteria to break down the waste which if you turn it off no waste goes to the bacteria living in the sponges meaning they die within a couple of hours.....tank will need filter running permanatly unless you need to clean it which must only be done with the tank water youve syphoned from the tank......it usually takes about 5 weeks to have the filter full with bacteria..what type of filter do you have?
what size tank?
most important what fish do you have? :unsure:

Yes you should keep your filter on 24/7 if not you lose beneficila bacteria and oxygen in the water.

J4MES

I have been turning down the filter when I feed the fish and leave it off over night and turn it on every morning. Should I just leave it on all night or is what I am doing ok. I started doing it just because I felt the fish needed to sleep and the filter's flow prevented them from doing it. Could that be harming the tank?
is this serious? well if it is, then i apologize, and yes you need to keep it on all the time or you are going to re-start the cycle every day and your water will not be healthy. Just leave it on, they will be fine.

ok folks you were all new at this once apon atime.....you dont need to critisize her its possible see just hasnt learnt how to care for fish 100% as i bet over half of us prob dont know all there is to know...so stop laughing and offer proper advice to help her out :unsure: thats why were all here right

ok folks you were all new at this once apon atime.....you dont need to critisize her its possible see just hasnt learnt how to care for fish 100% as i bet over half of us prob dont know all there is to know...so stop laughing and offer proper advice to help her out :unsure: thats why were all here right
55gal has been on this site for almost a year with over 50 posts and classed as a fish fanatic due to the number of posts. This is also posted in tropical chat not new to the hobby. Therefore at what point do we stop taking things as novice ignorance and turn it into illogical thinking? I realised I was coming over as harsh which is why I qualified my statement with 'I'm not being funny but'.

But c'mon, seriously?!?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back