Trying to Understand what happened

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I've lost a lot of fish in two days -19 or 20. I just want to know if anybody else agrees with me so others can learn from my mistakes.

I have two expensive water heaters with thermometers. In fact you set the heater with the thermometer. Two of my tanks have these because I was sick of getting bad temperature reading from the more traditional style thermometer. Well these turned out even worse.

1. I added to a post about severely cloudy water in one tank and it was decided it was a bacterial bloom and the only way to get rid of it was to change the water multiple times. This is a 50 gallon tank and I'm on oxygen. I made it through one water change and that's all I could handle. My assistant was able to come by and we decided to remove the fish to a large bucket with an air bubbler. These were all large Gourami - which can be a bit agressive at times. I checked them several times and was concerned that they didnt look well. My assistant came by and took a look only to find all of the fish dead. My guess is that the bucket wasnt enough and they ran out of oxygen, We should have used multiple buckets. I lost 8 fish - the entire 50 gallon tank except for the Dojo's and Loaches I had removed to a different tank. .

2. In a different tank - same issue with overheating even though the heater was set at a reasonable 78 degrees but when I stuck my fingers in the water it felt more like 90 degrees. I slowly begain lowering the temperature in the tank until it felt closer to 78. All during this time my fish were dying like crazy. I had at least 16 fish in this tank, including glo-tetras, dwarf guarmi, a large yellow guarmi (big bird) and my pride and joy and nearly impossible to find, chocolate gourami named "Mr Coffee". Also a couple of Dojos and a couple of Kubotai Loaches and some catfish. The only ones that didn't die were one honey gourami, the dojos, and the loaches. The rest just dropped dead. I removed the Honey Gourami, the Dojos and Loaches and put them in a different tank (which is now too crowded but at least the right temperature) but the others died before I could move them.

So I guess my words of advice is keep a close watch on the temperature of your tanks. I still do not understand why these expensive heater/thermometers went so crazy on temperature. I was used to the cheap ones doing it but not $60-80 ones. I got lazy trusting that the heaters were working well. when they were not. If any of you have recommendations of supurb heaters and thermometers that you have actual experience with please let me know. I need to replace these as soon as possible.

Oh as far as readings: Both tank B and D (the ones with heater problems had 7plus ammonia readings, with all other readings perfect. Tank A and C (A is is where I put the extra fish while C is a 5 gallon betta tank) have perfect readings of 0's on everything and 7.0 PH. Both of the malfunctioning heaters were Hygger brands with rave reviews. Well something went haywire with mine well after the 30 day expiration date.

Hi, very sorry to hear about your losses :confused:
So not only did the high temp do damage to the fish, but it likely wiped out the beneficial bacteria too and so the tank ended up building up ammonia.. and this too probably would have killed the fish.
Its a very important lesson that many fishkeepers overlook and take for granted. That really is a shame, I hope you're able to rebuild and keep in the hobby.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this! This is every hobbyists worst nightmare, right alongside a tank being broken or bursting.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, just my sincere condolences. Aren't there devices that alert as soon as the temp drops below or goes above a certain level? I'm sure there are basic ones that sounds an alarm, and more advanced ones that will text your phone or something like that?

Not that I don't trust heaters (well, not until now!), but I keep more temperate fish that are ok at room temp so I've no need for a heater. I have heard good things about the heater that i do have (in the cupboard), a Fluval E series. It is equipped with a number of safety features.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this! This is every hobbyists worst nightmare, right alongside a tank being broken or bursting.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, just my sincere condolences. Aren't there devices that alert as soon as the temp drops below or goes above a certain level? I'm sure there are basic ones that sounds an alarm, and more advanced ones that will text your phone or something like that?

Yes the inkbird temp control will stop a heater that's in overdrive & has alarm for temps. Sean was talking about this with two heaters as his tank set up. I'm rethinking my heating choice now

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry about your fish, I use a digital thermometer on every tank so it is easy for me to catch any temp issue.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 100
If you had heaters set at 78. And your fish were comfortable there. You could probably go without a heater. I seen in a previous post where another person doesn't use heat. Figured I would second that thought lol. Unless you have fish that require the higher temps. I live in Alaska and my indoor temp changes a little over winter. We also prefer it a little cooler. My tanks range winter/summer 70°/80°. I don't have any issues with fish due to temp. I do have a couple QT tanks and heaters if needed for meds. And enough heaters to heat the entire tanks if needed. But I don't trust heaters at all. Definitely sorry to hear about the losses. Never a good time when feeling helpless to stop it.

So sorry :(. I don't use my heater because its 105 degrees out, and I'm definitely going to get a new high quality one if I ever need to use it. Those temperature limiters seem super helpful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back