Trying to rescue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skimpy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi Ya

I am trying to rescue, unhappy fish in a neglected tank at a school where I work.

I water tested it the other day and the PH was below 4 Am 0 Nitri 0 Nitrate 160+

Well i did a water change yesterday 30 ltrs. Tank is 36 x 12 x 18 inches so i think it would be approx 90 litre tank ?

Anyway reading today = PH 6.4 :D Am 0 Nitri 0 Nitrate I think about 80 - 100

How often do you think I should change the water to bring levels to a healther place without going too quickly and stressing the fish. (They have been used to neglect a rather long time) :grr:

Plus the only other things I can think of to do is to get some plants and have a go at the teacher who owns the tank. (He will be back in school tomorrow). :hey: :crazy: (I hope he feels :*)

Thanks in advance guys. :D

i would do another water change tommorrow as long as the fish don't look stressed by todays. at least every other day till you get it to acceptable levels. hth

a planted tank need much more attention, but and will only reduce the nitrates levels a little, but might be a good idea, Get some fast growing plants, that doesnt need high lights.

The water still needs changeing, I would just start to do a water change once a week,

Thanks.

One of you say every other day, one says once a week.

Any more opinions please ??? I'm happy to go with what the majority of you feel.

Once a week, every other day or somewhere in between ?? :dunno:

If they've been that way for ages (rather than trying to resuce a sudden spike), and the water changes are obviously working well (based on your stats) - slow and steady would be my vote. I would say try and do very small (10l?) every other day so the fish get time to acclimatise.

But I've never done this so its just a guess :)

aj xx

I hudge change in both PH and water condition is just a big a shock either way, I would just slowely get the water into a good condtion not a hudge change in a week.

I'd do a 20% change once a week. While the PH in the tank was wierd, the Ammonia and Nitrite was ok, and the only (more or less) way to get rid of Nitrate is thru water changes.

What is the PH of the water you are adding? A 33% water change affected the PH from less than 4 to 6.4. I'm guess that when its all said an done the PH of the tank is going to be between 6.8 and 7.2. (Really it will be whatever the water you're putting in is, eventually) If there is going to be large PH changes still, might be a good idea to do 10% twice a week until the PH of the tank is close to the PH of the water you're adding. Of course, if the ph of the water you're adding is already close to 6.4, then just go to the 20% once a week.

Thanks Wheelman

To answer your question, the tap PH is 7.4.

I have spoken to the caretaker (Luckely he used to keep tropical fish so understands why I was worried and has agreed to help). Over the 6 week school break he is going to change 10Ltr twice a week. Hopefully by the time we all return to school the fish will be a lot happier :D :D

Thanks everyone for your help :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back