Trying To Plan A Sw Tank...need A Lot Of Guidance.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

First the live sand: Seeing that the exact same life that they said was in the sand is on the live rock, whats the point?

Second, the light will not work on a canopy due to the fact that it would be a pain to fit and wouldnt be able to cool itself causing future heat problems. Retrofit would be better.

First the live sand: Seeing that the exact same life that they said was in the sand is on the live rock, whats the point?

Second, the light will not work on a canopy due to the fact that it would be a pain to fit and wouldnt be able to cool itself causing future heat problems. Retrofit would be better.
I guess I'm still a little afraid of piecing together my lights :blush: I'd like some moonlights and stuff too. I'm not sure how that'd be incorporated on a DIY system. I guess I'd have to have a wide board going over top so I could attach them to it?

put the halides on, if you have some space in between, fix a couple of LED moonlights or maybe even a weak cold cathode fluorescent.

As for drilling, going over the top works, yes, but trust me when I say there's nothing like a drilled tank. Having used an over-the-top box setup once, I'll never do it again.

Ski, could you tell me why drilled is better? Thanks

Agree with Musho on all this stuff. Drilling is better because it keeps chance out of the equation as far as safety is concerned. Drilled tanks are not prone to failure if they get a bubble trapped in them and ALWAYS restart after a power outage. "over the back" overflows are prone to failure if they get bubbles trapped in their tubes, and sometimes do not start properly after a power outage, especially if they aren't designed right. When I was new to the hobby I went through the same thought processes you are. Scared of drilling and ruining the tank, figured why not try an over the back overflow. Ignored all the advice the experienced members gave out of fear. The thing was a pain to keep running, I had to constantly check its siphon and tweak with it. Ugh. Gave in to my fears and drilled my second (current) tank and man was I dense for not listening to the advice on how easy drilling was and how much better it is. You'll be happier if you trust us, I swear :)

Then, lighting. That fixture will work, but as musho says, can't be put into a canopy. If you're gonna use a canopy, a retrofit kit is MUCH better. Its really not that hard to setup. If you can handle wood screws a drill and wire nuts, you can do it :)

Agree with Musho on all this stuff. Drilling is better because it keeps chance out of the equation as far as safety is concerned. Drilled tanks are not prone to failure if they get a bubble trapped in them and ALWAYS restart after a power outage. "over the back" overflows are prone to failure if they get bubbles trapped in their tubes, and sometimes do not start properly after a power outage, especially if they aren't designed right. When I was new to the hobby I went through the same thought processes you are. Scared of drilling and ruining the tank, figured why not try an over the back overflow. Ignored all the advice the experienced members gave out of fear. The thing was a pain to keep running, I had to constantly check its siphon and tweak with it. Ugh. Gave in to my fears and drilled my second (current) tank and man was I dense for not listening to the advice on how easy drilling was and how much better it is. You'll be happier if you trust us, I swear :)

Then, lighting. That fixture will work, but as musho says, can't be put into a canopy. If you're gonna use a canopy, a retrofit kit is MUCH better. Its really not that hard to setup. If you can handle wood screws a drill and wire nuts, you can do it :)
ok, you've convinced me. One hitch. We've decided to have a lead test done on our 3.5 year old b/c our house was built when they still used lead paint. So, depending on that test we may decide to put our house up for sale....ughh I don't want to, but depending on how the test turns out, I don't want to poison our kids either. Especially, with the new baby running around and chewing on everything now :crazy: The test is tomorrow, so hopefully they can get it done quick and won't have to send it out. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is, if you want.

Well if it turns out we're selling, I'll have to dismantle the 125 gallon tank anyway and stick it storage. It takes up to much room in our living room, as far as a selling point. The room would look bigger and more open w/out it. I intend to come to the salty side and will follow the guidance given, it's just a matter of when. Wish us luck somehow, please :good:

Good luck :good:
Thanks, I hope we won't have to move....although moving could potentially get me a fishroom :shifty:

edit---

well, i'm still trying to make some progress. I've been calling around to try to locate a business that would drill the tank for me. The lfs said there's a business in town that does it for $10 a hole, but he couldn't remember the name....I've had no luck so far :sad:

I'm also considering watching Craig's list (like ski suggested) or ebay and see if I can get a reef ready one for cheap. Who know's someone might be selling their system.

I could always keep what I wanted and sell what I didn't on ebay or craig's list. :blink: maybe

The lead test came back good :good: Yeah!! Now I just have to figure out what exactly I'm going to do with tanks. I definitely want a 40/50 usg and was thinking of having a stand that could also accommodate my 29 gallon below. I want some south american puffers and I could have them in the 29 w/bumble bee gobies.

I've always liked eels. i could make the 125 a pred. tank. And then have the clowns/mandarin and eventually a reef tank in the 40/50 gallon.

hm... Anyway, I'm building the stand for my big tank b/c I want it anyway. I just have to figure out what I would really enjoy staring at when I'd be looking at my tanks :blink:

I've made up my mind. I'll go nano...for now :shifty: I'm going to use my 29 gallon tank for my puffer tank and buy another tank (ok maybe it won't be nano) 29 gallon. I'll use a canister filter on it along with lr in the tank. I'll still definitley have a skimmer on it. Does anyone have any input on the canisters w/the inline heaters? Seams I've heard a few bad things about them, but out of the 1,000's they made a few bad things might not be so bad ???? Whatcha think?

Can I keep 2 clowns and a flame angel in the 29 or would that be pushing it? I was also thinking about starting a pod culture eventually so I can successfully keep a mandarin too...bad idea? or could it work?

I think years down the road, I'll switch my 125 to the salty side, but for now it's just to expensive overall, especially with all the added elect cost. Probably another $50 a month or so onto the bill :crazy: (I'll have more resources when ALL the kids are in school and we're no longer paying daycare :) )

a beginner trying a mandarin in a 29 gallon.... I wouldn't do it, go bigger, at least 50 gallons IMO so you could fit a lot of live rock for pods. Stay away from 4 foot 40-60 gallon tanks. These are very thin and are hard to aquascape. I'd skip the canister filter altogether since those are a pain. Go the whole 9 yards and get a sump.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back