trying to learn... are you up for a civil discussion on Lucky Bamboo???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

you can call me stupid... what differences are you saying is the difference between emersed & submerged

I have nothing with CO2 going yet, but I have the equipment to start, one of these days, when I find the time

Well to sum it up, emersed are aquatic plants grown on land, (This makes it so that they grow faster) but with the downside of having to transition. Depending on the type of plant, the transition might be little to nothing, or completely changing shape, color, and size. they also may melt/die off. the presence of Co2 helps them during this process (correct me if I'm wrong)

Edit: Or just partially out of water, if a plant grows out of water it means they're emersed even if not totally on land

This is also of interest for some other plants... my water lilies I think stay fully under water, but my Lotus is supposed to grow out of the water ( & I've made provisions for that in the tank they are in) but so far, nothing has breached the surface ( I thought maybe I had too much water movement with the dual filters that are on that tank )

Time for an update… all my Lucky bamboo are still doing good… they aren’t growing much, but all still look healthy

Whenever folks around here have questions about "lucky bamboo" as a means to reduce nitrates in aquaria, I like to point them to this previous thread:

nitrate-reduction-method.476457/

It's got a lot of good information in there! I do suspect you'll have more luck with it as an emergent, rather than trying to grow it fully submerged. It can tolerate being submerged to some extent, but that's not it's favorite mode to grow, from what I am aware.

An interesting turn of events the last couple weeks… mid stem rooting…

Attachments

• IMG_4146.jpeg
    IMG_4146.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4145.jpeg
    IMG_4145.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 8

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back