Trying to figure out how I can legally own an axolotl

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

OK. so let's hold on a second here.... your parents are setting restrictions on your ipad, so this tells me immediately that you are under 18 and you will not be able to apply for any permits yourself... your parents will have to sign and agree to any contracts/permits as adults.
Yes. But my parents support me and my hobbies, and if theyre ok with me getting an axolotl they will be able to help me work out the permit, or they will let me know they donā€™t think it is very doable for us and weā€™ll make a decision in the best interest of my family and the axolotl itself
Turns out they wonā€™t be illegal in VA much longer. The regulations were changed this year, with them begin legal to posses as of August 1st. Itā€™s dense, but the details are here : https://dwr.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/media/05272021-Board-Meeting-Materials.pdf

Proposal :

4VAC15-360-60. Prohibit the sale of salamander and madtom species. (pg. 110)
ā€¢Removes Mexican axolotl as a species that cannot be imported, possessed, or sold

This was part of the rabbit and wildlife diversity regulations, which were both moved, seconded and approved
Oooooo very interesting

Is that like official that on August 1st axolotls will no longer be illegal without a permit?

Is that like official that on August 1st axolotls will no longer be illegal without a permit?
That's my understanding, and what I read from the minutes I linked above. My daughter has been begging for an axolotl for a while now, and now that we're done moving I've been researching it pretty hard.

I saw a Reddit post that showed a response from a Virginia Wildlife official indicating that was the case, and from digging into it more I found the minutes linked where the rule changes were suggested, passed, and indicated to go into effect on the first.

That's my understanding, and what I read from the minutes I linked above. My daughter has been begging for an axolotl for a while now, and now that we're done moving I've been researching it pretty hard.

I saw a Reddit post that showed a response from a Virginia Wildlife official indicating that was the case, and from digging into it more I found the minutes linked where the rule changes were suggested, passed, and indicated to go into effect on the first.
Ohhhhh ok, wonderful! Thank you

I would flout the law in this case. Don't tell your folks so they can claim plausible deniability if you get caught. Go on a road trip across the border and buy 10 (5prs) of them. Take them home and don't tell anyone. Screw the government, what a stupid law, not allowed to keep axos.

I would flout the law in this case. Don't tell your folks so they can claim plausible deniability if you get caught. Go on a road trip across the border and buy 10 (5prs) of them. Take them home and don't tell anyone. Screw the government, what a stupid law, not allowed to keep axos.
What BAD advice to give a minor! Telling them to break the law, keep secrets from their parents along with likely buying way more animals than they can responsibly care for....

The law MAY be stupid, but this advice is not it IMO.

I am trying to figure out ways I can legally own an axolotl here in VA, where they are not legal...
So, of all the species you could keep, you need to have one that it is illegal to keep?

Some laws appear to have been made by idiots and that is the view usually expressed by those who either are ignorant of the reasons for such laws, or by those who take it upon themselves to disregard laws they dislike on principle. These same two groups of people, on discovering a law, any law, will immediately devote a whole load of time and effort, trying to circumvent said law and find so-called loop-holes. (This is bread-and-butter stuff, for many in the legal profession and many make a lot of money out of this).

In The Real World, laws are usually drawn up following a lengthy process and go through even more processes before they are actually implemented. I believe that anyone choosing to believe that they are better than those involved with those processes is just wrong.

If...and only 'if'...the law is in the process of changing, then patience, Grasshopper. In the meantime, find something else to fixate on, something that would not get either yourself or your indulgent family into trouble. Remember that a criminal record stays with you for life and I'll assume you'd want employment at sometime in the near future.

Interesting thread...like any pet keeping hobby there are restrictions to what one can keep. As hobbyist we have to remember the big adult word called, responsibility. Just because we want something doesn't mean we should have it. Be it; a safety issue, think poisonous pets, or probably more germane to us, invasive species. So we do need to remember our responsibilities. And yes I thought in passing about axolotl too.

I wouldn't totally give up on it, if axolotls are what you really want. But I agree that breaking the law is a bad idea. You seem like a nice kid; I hate to see you start on a life of crime. :) Check with fish and wildlife and see if there's a permitting process whereby you can keep them legally. If not, look for another critter that gives you the same charge but isn't illegal. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

I wouldn't totally give up on it, if axolotls are what you really want. But I agree that breaking the law is a bad idea. You seem like a nice kid; I hate to see you start on a life of crime. :) Check with fish and wildlife and see if there's a permitting process whereby you can keep them legally. If not, look for another critter that gives you the same charge but isn't illegal. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Thank you!

To make it very clear to everyone, I will not do it illegally. The title of the thread is ā€œtrying to figure out how I can legally own an axolotlā€ I am also not a young elementary school kid, just wanting a pet. I am not looking for ā€œloopholesā€ around the law, I understand laws are made for a reason, wether I like the law or not. I am perfectly fine waiting until August for the law to change, but before I knew of the change of the law, I was looking into getting a permit, as a legal way to own a pet that Iā€™ve been interested in for a very long time and finally have the space, money, and time to keep it happy, healthy, and thriving in my care

Thank you!

To make it very clear to everyone, I will not do it illegally. The title of the thread is ā€œtrying to figure out how I can legally own an axolotlā€ I am also not a young elementary school kid, just wanting a pet. I am not looking for ā€œloopholesā€ around the law, I understand laws are made for a reason, wether I like the law or not. I am perfectly fine waiting until August for the law to change, but before I knew of the change of the law, I was looking into getting a permit, as a legal way to own a pet that Iā€™ve been interested in for a very long time and finally have the space, money, and time to keep it happy, healthy, and thriving in my care
I know. I respect that you're doing it the right way. I was mostly responding to Colin's comment for the sake of any other young, impressionable aquarists who might be reading this. :)

Axolotls are weird critters. I've kept tiger salamanders, both adults and larvae. They are just funny. Kind of dumb, always hungry, with that silly, stoned-looking smile on their faces. I find the combination of the placid smile and the ravenous appetite amusingly creepy. ha ha Axolotls are even weirder because they're like the kid who never grows up. :cool:

I know. I respect that you're doing it the right way. I was mostly responding to Colin's comment for the sake of any other young, impressionable aquarists who might be reading this. :)
Ok! I was mostly clarifying for some of the others! I probably shouldnā€™t have said ā€œeveryoneā€ :blink:
Axolotls are weird critters. I've kept tiger salamanders, both adults and larvae. They are just funny. Kind of dumb, always hungry, with that silly, stoned-looking smile on their faces. I find the combination of the placid smile and the ravenous appetite amusingly creepy. ha ha Axolotls are even weirder because they're like the kid who never grows up. :cool:
they really are! Those big, derpy smiles and the fluffy gills, I just canā€™t stand it. Iā€™m going to have to look up a tiger salamander, Iā€™ve heard of them but never seen a photo! Did you know African Dwarf Frogs are illegal here in VA, under the same law as axolotls?

i don't know about your state, but, permits for personal aquariums are not allowed in mine - only for research or zoological purposes - which neither of those is feasible for you.
you're lucky that your state is making them legal. several of the fish i plan to keep some day are never going to become legal, for good reason, and i'm perfectly ok with that because there are plenty of legal ones that i can keep now.
axolotls are cool, and i've considered keeping them once, but ultimately decided against it because of the need for an unbelievably expensive water chiller. the chiller alone is def going to cost a lot more than the entire setup, are you certain that you have the money for this?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back