Trying to figure out how I can legally own an axolotl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out ways I can legally own an axolotl here in VA, where they are not legal. According to one website I found (the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources) I can obtain a permit and legally have an axolotl, but does anyone know how I would go about applying for a permit that would allow me to possess "exotic wildlife"? I found a form online by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, called Application to Import and Possess Certain Non-Native (Exotic) Wildlife in Virginia. It says import and possess, and has a whole section for where the wildlife is being imported from, to, and the care and housing. Would this be form I would fill out to apply for a permit? I am confused as to if it is the right one or not since I would not be importing an axolotl

Here is the link to the form I found

I would ask someone in VA that already has these and ask them about the procedure, perhaps buy from them to save the additional cost of a health certificate. It would also not be importing if purchased within the state. There may also be an initial and follow-up inspection of your containment.

I would ask someone in VA that already has these and ask them about the procedure, perhaps buy from them to save the additional cost of a health certificate. It would also not be importing if purchased within the state. There may also be an initial and follow-up inspection of your containment.
Ohhh ok. Problem is, because they are not legal here, nobody breeds them, and online stores will not ship to places where they are not legal. I also don't know anyone in VA with an axolotl, nor have I heard of anyone going through the process of getting the permit:blush:

I HAVE heard of people purchasing them in neighboring states where they are legal, and it isn't like anyone will find out, I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble, but I would ideally like to do it legally

I HAVE heard of people purchasing them in neighboring states where they are legal, and it isn't like anyone will find out, I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble, but I would ideally like to do it legally
I guess this could work but I'm sure if the wrong person sees this you could get into trouble. it states in the Virginia regulations it's illegal to POSSES one so I wouldn't quite take that route.

I also don't know anyone in VA with an axolotl, nor have I heard of anyone going through the process of getting the permit:blush:
Do more research my friend, I am sure there are dozens of keepers and breeders of these cute little guys in your State, although there may be some that are not following the rules.

I guess this could work but I'm sure if the wrong person sees this you could get into trouble. it states in the Virginia regulations it's illegal to POSSES one so I wouldn't quite take that route.
Exactly what I was thinking, i by no means plan to do that! I only said it to share a little bit of my situation

Turns out they won’t be illegal in VA much longer. The regulations were changed this year, with them begin legal to posses as of August 1st. It’s dense, but the details are here : https://dwr.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/media/05272021-Board-Meeting-Materials.pdf

Proposal :

4VAC15-360-60. Prohibit the sale of salamander and madtom species. (pg. 110)
•Removes Mexican axolotl as a species that cannot be imported, possessed, or sold

This was part of the rabbit and wildlife diversity regulations, which were both moved, seconded and approved

Last edited:
Do more research my friend, I am sure there are dozens of keepers and breeders of these cute little guys in your State, although there may be some that are not following the rules.
I have been doin tons of research on how to get one legally, but it is hard to find other people’s experiences getting permits and such as I have limited access to things such as REDDIT and Social Media, because of restrictions my parents set on my Ipad :/

I found an online store that seems pretty responsible, who will ship to me if I am able to show proof of permit.

I have been doin tons of research on how to get one legally, but it is hard to find other people’s experiences getting permits and such as I have limited access to things such as REDDIT and Social Media, because of restrictions my parents set on my Ipad :/

I found an online store that seems pretty responsible, who will ship to me if I am able to show proof of permit.
OK. so let's hold on a second here.... your parents are setting restrictions on your ipad, so this tells me immediately that you are under 18 and you will not be able to apply for any permits yourself... your parents will have to sign and agree to any contracts/permits as adults.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back