Troublesome Bristlenose

saz326

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hertfordshire
So, Whenever my fish breed in the community aquarium - their eggs disappear overnight and I find a very cheeky looking bristlenose plec in the breeding area in the morning.

Is there a way to prevent him from getting at the eggs (eggs are lain on a flat fock or in a cave)?

If not - do you think he'd be okay in my fry tank (also contains shrimp) for a week until the eggs have hatched and the fry are being "walked".

...or do I have to get rid of him (had him 7 years!)
 
You can use an airline as a siphon tube. Get the airline secure an old pair of tights on the top to act as a filter, suck through the end of the tube with the tights on whilst hovering above the egg, put your thumb over the end to seal it and move the eggs over to a flat area in the fry tank.
 
I would leave the eggs with the parents and move the BN, he would be fine in the fry tank for a few weeks. Or temporarily divide the tank if you can.
 
mate if it is breeding your intending on persuing the i will always reccomend a specie's only tank, just the breeding pair and no more, if it's just nice to see then iam sorry but if you found the culprit it has to go or forget breeding,
 
I would leave the eggs with the parents and move the BN, he would be fine in the fry tank for a few weeks. Or temporarily divide the tank if you can.

Yeah - I want the parents to raise the fry as they do seem to pass the knowledge on. More and more fish have lost the instincts that they are supposed to have. Lots of fish that are supposed to care for their eggs havent a clue anymore.


mate if it is breeding your intending on persuing the i will always reccomend a specie's only tank, just the breeding pair and no more, if it's just nice to see then iam sorry but if you found the culprit it has to go or forget breeding,


I'd love to go species only but am limited for space and really enjoy the interactions of the community tank. I 'd like my fish to be able to raise fry - I think its only fair that they should be able to do what they want to do.. It's mean enough keeping them in a tank indoors - last thing I want to do is let a natural behaviour fail. If it means no babies then thats something I'l just have to accept.


Would Mr bristly (a.k.a. Big fat ugly bas*ard fish) be safe with shrimp and fry? I guess he might chase them around and crush a few young shrimp - but would he be bothered by them?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top