Trouble In The Dwarf Frog Department.

ZanDPY

Reaction score
So there I was playing around on my laptop, basking in calmness of my dear 10 gallon tank. Suddenly, an orange blur catches my eye.
Much to my horror. There is my usually docile pearlscale goldfish, Captain Ahab, flailing my poor little adf Glenn by one of his hindlegs. It was like a 4 inch reenactment of Jaws!

No way in hell was I going to stand for that! I went out and purchased Glenn-sized terracotta pots and sunk them down around the sides of the tank, where he usually likes to hang out. Worked for a day. Now he won't touch them.

I'm thinking of going out and purchasing a small tank for him... and getting him a girlfriend. What is the minimum size tank I would need for them?

I've got 2.5 gallon tank stashed away in a closet would that work?

These frogs should not be kept with fish and especially not goldfish who will not only eat them when they are big enough but are greedy and will usually prevent them from getting enough to eat. Some people have had luck keeping them with very peaceful fish but to get the most out of them they should be kept in a species only tank. I would say at least a 5gal tank for a pair of these frogs.

Hi ZanDPY :)

Yes, I've kept a pair in a 2.5 gal. tank. Just be sure you get a good fitting lid for it and do regular water changes.

Unless you want to breed them and raise their young, I'd recommend getting another male. If you get a female, they will spawn frequently and I've found that it makes a terrible mess. :sick:

A pair will be fine in 2.5 gallons, I would as Inchworm said get 2 males, I have 3 but don't know how to sex them so good luck.

The females are a little bigger and have a small protrusion on their butts. It almost looks like a tiny tail. Whichever gender you have, as long as they match, you will not have the spawning problem.

The males make a humming sound which I found very pleasant. :D

Males have a small white/pinkish/greyish/pale spot under their armpits, females have a tiny tail stubb and tend to be a bit fatter.
All 3 of mine have just moulted - most frogs eat the shed skin :sick: mine haven't and so thinking it'd be like wet snakeskin I fished it out by hand.. BIG MISTAKE it's like snot!

LMAO sorry justkia but couldn't help when I read what you said about the frog skin, glad mine eat it lol.

Most reactions

Back