Tropical Storm Fay...heading My Way !

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I have a battery powered bubbler for each of my tanks. How long can my fish survive that way if we lose power ? Is there anything else I can do ? :crazy:
 
Pray :)

Make sure your filter media is kept wet :)

Stay safe - hope it doesnt cause too much damage - good luck.
 
Make sure your safe aswell as your fishies!

You should be fine with bubble machines for abit, Just remember fish can survive 24 hrs postal service without even a bubble machine so your good to go
 
LOL....It is named "Fay", and my name actually is "Faith"

It will be a few days before it comes near us. They are tracking it a bit more east, but don't trust the projections as it's happened before. Either way we are likely to have tornadoes, strong wind and storms enough to knock our power out. Once we went for10 days without electric !

I have a concrete house, new roof, and storm shutters. My main concern is the fishies !
 
If it comes down to it and you do lose power for a few days, 50% water changes daily should keep the ammonia and nitrites down enough not to worry.
 
My tap water has a good level of ammonia in it. I imagine not feeding them will be the best resort when it comes to ammonia. Thanks for reminding me of that !
 
Well, i dont know if you have time to do it, or the money, but i have my entire fish tank hooked up to a computers UPS. If power goes out it can run for a loong time without power.
 
Might be a dumb idea but
can you not get some of the air filters?
use the battery air pumps to power em, of course mature them in the tank first?

Just an idea
 
LOL....It is named "Fay", and my name actually is "Faith"

It will be a few days before it comes near us. They are tracking it a bit more east, but don't trust the projections as it's happened before. Either way we are likely to have tornadoes, strong wind and storms enough to knock our power out. Once we went for10 days without electric !

I have a concrete house, new roof, and storm shutters. My main concern is the fishies !


good luck in whatever happens faith!!! :good: :good:
 
This is a freakish irony...some of my friends are in the Dominican Republic, I hope they're OK, this time last year hurricane Dean hit St. Lucia, and I was vacationing there! Anyhow, for 24 hours, you should be fine, just make sure you don't make any sudden changes/add new fish.
 
Well, i dont know if you have time to do it, or the money, but i have my entire fish tank hooked up to a computers UPS. If power goes out it can run for a loong time without power.

I wondered about that. I think I have a spare one at the office ! :good:
 
I would consider a small generator. Mine would pay for itself if it saved the freezer I keep well stocked with meat. It would also save my fishroom, as well as run the furnace in the winter with a little creative electrical work.
 
i just read it's been upgraded to hurricane so be careful and good luck.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top