Tropical Fish Farming

gowing238

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
133
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
rhondda, south wales, uk
Hello,

I know a lot of fish sold in aquariums are farm bred fish. I was just wondering how exactly it is done. How the fish are kept and bred. How big are the aquariums and where in the uk these farms are.

Does anyone here work in these farms. What would really be good would be some pictures.

Now i got thinking bout it its got me quite intigued! Nice to know a bit about where these fish actually come from!
 
Hello,

I know a lot of fish sold in aquariums are farm bred fish. I was just wondering how exactly it is done. How the fish are kept and bred. How big are the aquariums and where in the uk these farms are.

Does anyone here work in these farms. What would really be good would be some pictures.

Now i got thinking bout it its got me quite intigued! Nice to know a bit about where these fish actually come from!

these farms are abroad malaysia etc i think not in uk as far as i know
 
I have never been to a fish farm, but I have been to a distribution center in Florida. I need to find those pics... when I do, I'll upload them in the photo gallery. :good:
 
Lmao, they aren't tanks, that's too much glass and too much weight and possible issues, they just have big pits in the ground. Yeah no major ones are in the UK. Southeast Asia and America has the largest ones.

Google could give you quite a simple answer...it's a shame nobody uses it anymore.... =\ Here's what I got by googling

tropical-fish-farm.jpg


ponds.jpg


saqfarm.jpg


sgoldf.jpg


sdrypond.jpg


dry pond, apparantly they're 1.5m deep.

sindoor2.jpg


all the water is recycled and filtered through plants and other media, and the plants themselves are also products thereafter

splants.jpg


FishFarmPhoto16med.jpg



smaller fish could be bred in tanks, but again, global distributors wouldn't.

dsc00053.jpg


farm1.jpg


sindoor1.jpg
 
There was an article in Practical Fish Keeping last year visiting fish-farms in Singapore. Because of the tropical climate most fish are bred in large outdoor ponds... I'll see if I can find a picture.

Edit: well i don't need to find any picture now, thanks FeroX
 

Most reactions

Back
Top