Tricked into buying very agressive cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

k2snowboards88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought to african cichlids from the lps. They told me they would be fine in a tank with agressive and semi agressive fish of all breeds. I've since learned that i bought 1 kenyi and one melanochromis auratus and i guess they're pretty viscious. My other fish are 1 peacock eel, 1 red finned shark, 4 tiger barbs. Is this tank doable? Is there anything i can do to calm they're agression? OR will all my fish be dead? thanks for your help

they seemed very violent yesterday. But today they've calmed down alot. The tiger barbs just mid they're own business and are left alone as well. The red finned shark and the two cichlids all attack each other every once in awhile, but none of them seem to be the running loser or winner. They appear to be very evenly matched and don't fight nearly as often anymore. Hopefully they'll stay like this and i wont' have any problems.

ps the eel hides during the day and at night if any fish mess with him he scares them away and they usually don't come back.

Hi, I would take the M auratus back to the shop. I don't know about Kenyis. M auratus are very vicious, What size are they? Your tiger barbs will not do well with cichlids, and they shouldn't be mixed. I have quite a few mbuna and I don not experience any probs, mine breed quite often aswell.

right now the tiger barbs seem to not get into any fights. except when they stumble upon the red fin shark's territory and get chased away. The m auratus isn't very agressive at all. well at least alot less than the shark and kenyi

What is the size of your tank? By judging from number of fishes you have selected, it is probably on the small side. If this is the case, Auratus, Kenyi and the shark will quickly outgrow your tank and turn super aggressive. This is not a very good mix in a small tank.

I'd recomend that you post your tank demension and look at the stocking plan again from scratch based on your tank size.

k2snowboards88 said:
48"L x 13"W x 20"H 55 gallon tank
That is definitely not a small tank... :lol:

You have a quite a bit of choice, but Auratus and Kenyi(Maylandia Lombardoi) are still not the right choices for your tank.

I would recomend 3 of the following species (1M/3 or 4F per each species):

- Iodotropheus Sprengeraes
- Labidochromis Caeruleus
- Pseudotropheus Saulosi
- Pseudotropheus Acei

All of the above are very peaceful (for mbuna) and are easy to keep.

If you are in more adventurous mood, you could try some of the following:

- Maylandia Estherae
- Melanochromis Johanni
- Pseudotropheus socolofi

All of the above are significantly more aggressive compare to the first group, but not impossible to keep.

Personally, I'd like to try the following on a tank of your size:

- Pseudotropheus Demasoni (about 15 of them)
- Labidochromis Caeruleus (about 5 of them)

In all cases (perhaps with the exception of the last one), lots of rocks are preferred, and lots of filtering capacity.

I was wrong about the kenyi, its really a hornet cichlid(Pseudotropheus crabro). i don't know if that makes a difference.

yhbae said:
k2snowboards88 said:
48"L x 13"W x 20"H 55 gallon tank
That is definitely not a small tank... :lol:

You have a quite a bit of choice, but Auratus and Kenyi(Maylandia Lombardoi) are still not the right choices for your tank.

I would recomend 3 of the following species (1M/3 or 4F per each species):

- Iodotropheus Sprengeraes
- Labidochromis Caeruleus
- Pseudotropheus Saulosi
- Pseudotropheus Acei

All of the above are very peaceful (for mbuna) and are easy to keep.

If you are in more adventurous mood, you could try some of the following:

- Maylandia Estherae
- Melanochromis Johanni
- Pseudotropheus socolofi

All of the above are significantly more aggressive compare to the first group, but not impossible to keep.

Personally, I'd like to try the following on a tank of your size:

- Pseudotropheus Demasoni (about 15 of them)
- Labidochromis Caeruleus (about 5 of them)

In all cases (perhaps with the exception of the last one), lots of rocks are preferred, and lots of filtering capacity.
I'd love to do a tank like that, but i only have this 55 gallon tank and a 5 gallon tank. If i want to go for an mbuna tank i'd have to get rid of all my fish and i don't know what i'd do with them. And i really want to keep my eel. Would that be compatible with any of those tanks you mentioned?

if i could return the two cichlids would it be possible to put electric yellow cichlids in the tank with the rest of my fish? And you said 1m/3. is it bad to have just one of a species? thanks

k2snowboards88 said:
I was wrong about the kenyi, its really a hornet cichlid(Pseudotropheus crabro). i don't know if that makes a difference.
Unfortunately, Crabro isn't much better - it grows to 8 inches and it too is too aggressive for 55g tank... I'm afraid you will need to find a new home for this one as well...

k2snowboards88 said:
if i could return the two cichlids would it be possible to put electric yellow cichlids in the tank with the rest of my fish? And you said 1m/3. is it bad to have just one of a species? thanks
Yes that is doable. I'm not sure about eels though - I never had any experience of them...

"Labidochromis Caeruleus" is Yellow Lab and it is one of the most peaceful mbuna known. They will be fine in your tank with the rest of your species (except for eel which I have no idea). Few had problem keeping tiger barbs with their mbuna so if your barbs are small, I'd watch out.

Normally, you'd want to keep 1 male/x female of each mbuna species as this will promote their natural behavior, keep their aggression down and ultimately breed. If this is not what you desire, a single Yellow Lab will be fine as well.

Out of curiosity, why would you not want to have multiple of the same mbuna species in your tank?

I don't want multiple mbuna's because i don't want to have any livebearing fish breeding. I wouldn't know what to do with the babies.

if they aren't too agressive i think my eel would be fine. so far he doesn't pick any fights, but if any fight tries to pick one wiht him he chases them aorund the tank for about 20 seconds. Every new fish i get tries messing with him once and never does again. He's free to go anywhere in the tank. even the red finned shark leaves him alone when the eel gets into his territory.

I don't want multiple mbuna's because i don't want to have any livebearing fish breeding. I wouldn't know what to do with the babies.

If that is your main concern, I don't think there's much to worry about... ;) If you let the female spit fry within the same tank, the chances of fry surviving in the same tank is very low indeed. If you have alot of hiding spots, few might survive but that's about it.

Anyhow, it is up to you - if you like the look of many difference species, one of each in the tank, why not - go for it! ;)

if they aren't too agressive i think my eel would be fine. so far he doesn't pick any fights, but if any fight tries to pick one wiht him he chases them aorund the tank for about 20 seconds. Every new fish i get tries messing with him once and never does again. He's free to go anywhere in the tank. even the red finned shark leaves him alone when the eel gets into his territory.

Sounds like your eel can hold its own against aggressive species. Out of curiosity, how long does it grow to?

Do you know what african cichlids would be allright with the fish i allready have?(besides the electric yellow)

My eel can grow to 12-16 inches. different sites have said different things.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back