Treating Fin Rot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!

I've got a bronze corydoras catfish that has fin rot on the dorsal fin. I am way over due for a water change, so I just did a small one now, and plan to do one in the morning. In the tank is another bronze cory and a goldfish. I am unable to give the water parameters because I do not have a test kit, and won't be going to Petsmart for those free water tests anytime soon. I know our water is relatively hard, but that is all I know.

Ok for the real question - I have some melafix for the fin rot. I do not have a quarantine tank. Is it all right to use it with the other fish in the tank?

Thank you!
- fishperson100

EDIT: Spelling, capitalization : )

Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions. Cleaning the tank and doing a large water change will be much more beneficial. Clean water and proper water parameters is what you need. Dumping any med into an unclean tank will not solve the issue. It will be a total waste of time. Get the tank cleaned in the morning with a large water change and then keep up with weekly changes. You may add a little aquarium salt too. Get that water tested ASAP also. Good luck! Hope all works out.

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The following link has information on what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back