Treating a tank for hair algae with no fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AceMcFly

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a low tech 5 gallon tank that I usually keep a betta in, for the past four years. However, Duke has passed away recently after a long, fulfilling fish life. Before I get a new fish for the tank, Iā€™d like to treat the hair algae that has completely taken over. Iā€™m hoping not having to worry about livestock will make my job easier.

The results of my API test kits:
pH - 8.0
Nitrates: 0ppm
Phosphates: 0ppm
DKH: 3

I was thinking about adding some peroxide daily while doing a blackout, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thank you! I hope youā€™re having a great day!

Attachments

• 2EA57FB0-6B25-4AAA-ACFE-7A94864592F8.jpeg
    2EA57FB0-6B25-4AAA-ACFE-7A94864592F8.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 0C8BDA5B-62B7-4FE7-A670-0216866DAF3F.jpeg
    0C8BDA5B-62B7-4FE7-A670-0216866DAF3F.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi everyone. I have a low tech 5 gallon tank that I usually keep a betta in, for the past four years. However, Duke has passed away recently after a long, fulfilling fish life. Before I get a new fish for the tank, Iā€™d like to treat the hair algae that has completely taken over. Iā€™m hoping not having to worry about livestock will make my job easier.

The results of my API test kits:
pH - 8.0
Nitrates: 0ppm
Phosphates: 0ppm
DKH: 3

I was thinking about adding some peroxide daily while doing a blackout, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thank you! I hope youā€™re having a great day!
If you don't have plants that need a lot of light, you can black out the tank completely for several days to kill the algae...
But it may come back not knowing the root cause for it...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back