Transferring Fish To A New Tank?

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
351
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

I currently have a small tank (27cm x 27cm x 27cm). It is well established but I would like to move my fish to a new slightly bigger tank (about 50% bigger).

Could I use new substrate and just move the filter or what that be too much of an overload?

Many thanks in advance.
 
Yes you can use a new substrate and use the same filter, however I doubt for the long term the filter will be large enough to cope with the volume of water as its 50% larger, so just run a new filter (large enough for the tank, either internal or external) alongside the current filter for 4 weeks to build up the bacteria required and add stock slowly so the bacteria can catch up with a new bio load.
 
Thanks.

It won't be a big new tank. Just to give my fish a bit more space. :)
 
what i would do if you get your new tank is to put the old water out of your old tank in your new one and then put your old filter in for a few days while your new one generates the new bateria.

hope this helps. like i say thats what i would do
 

Most reactions

Back
Top