Transferring Filters

rocknurworld2006

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aberdeen
I have a large internal filter with 2 large sponges in it if i set up an external filter and just put all the media into the external and just had this run on its own.

will i get an ammonia spike do ya think?
:crazy:
 
no i dont think so i did the same thing last year but i did keep a close eye on it
 
When I changed my internal filter with an external filter , I just left the internal filter running with the new external filter for about 2 weeks. Then just took out the internal filter didn't have any problems and no ammonia spikes.

I wouldn't bother putting the media in the external filter, just run them along side each other for a couple of weeks.
 
When I changed my internal filter with an external filter , I just left the internal filter running with the new external filter for about 2 weeks. Then just took out the internal filter didn't have any problems and no ammonia spikes.

I wouldn't bother putting the media in the external filter, just run them along side each other for a couple of weeks.

Yep! I cycled my 20 gallon this way. Took 2 internal filters from my 2 gallon tank, put them in near the external filter of the new tank for a week or so, and my cycle only took 3 weeks. But what I did is slightly different, since yours is already cycled and you are changing the filter style, not the tank :P
 
I have a large internal filter with 2 large sponges in it if i set up an external filter and just put all the media into the external and just had this run on its own.

will i get an ammonia spike do ya think?
:crazy:

I'm doing just this, except my filters are both externals. the plan is to run both for two weeks. then i will remove the old cannister, its less than two months since i cleaned it, wash the mechanical filters, in the water from the cannister. i will then use this water to fill the new filter up (yes it will be a bit dirty, but full of bacteria and its food!!! not that dirty actually, i clean my filter, roughly, every 5 months) add a bag of the bio media to the new filter (which i will remove on the next clean, lol next year), the rest will go in another bag, and be placed in the tank.

bit long winded i know, but i would rather be fussy than any fish short at the end.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top