Training kittens...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fishluvr <'><

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We bought our kitten a couple of months ago. We live in the country in Australia, and we started our kitten in a litter box. But, we eventually wanted to have her go outside, and do her thing. I started putting the litter box outside and that went fine, but now recently, she started going in our bathtub, our clean laundry basket, and our beanbag chair!! Not all in one day, but everyday now I am finding that she has done it somewhere else in the house. She only pees in the house, no poo, thankfully. I don't know how to get her to go outside! Is there anyone with any suggestions? We don't have room in our home to keep the litter box inside. My husband says if we don't get this resolved, then the kitten has to go. So, this is why I am turning to you.

Thanks.
Mary

:-(

how old is she? is she spayed? before my cat was spayed she peed in odd places like boxes and on my beanbag chair

If she is going inside, then perhaps the... "the litter box is outside" idea hasn't sunken in. Bring the litter box back in. If you have a big house or there are two floors, get more than one. Especially if she is still a kitten. I've never trained a cat to go to the door but i would wait until she is older so she can control herself more. After she figures out there is an outside she will start going to the door on her own, but you will probably want to leave a litterbox in the house (the laundry room maybe:) anyway.

hiya
we raised our kitten from being 3 weeks old and found she took to her litter tray like a natural at around 5 weeks old! HOWEVER! when we changed the tray to a nice posh covered one she started to poo allover the house, especially behind the couches... gross

We finally realised she didnt like the lid, took it off, and she immediately started using the tray again.

So her doing her business allover the house is probably because she doesnt like the litter tray to be outside :(

Mine now sometimes chooses to wee outside on some gravel we have - but infinately prefers her tray.

Presumably if shes only weeing on your chairs etc and not pooing - she is pooing in the litter tray outside?? The only suggestion i can give you is to try scattering her cat litter where you want her to use outside, but still provide a tray indoors to save you having to clear up all the time. Gradually she may get used to using both, then maybe you vcan take away the litter tray.

Good luck - dont let hubby get rid of her cos theres no room for a litter tray - if theres no room for a tray theres no room for a cat!

Most reactions

Back