Too Slow!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I do not have a turtle, I ask because I am intrigued to discover new things.

Meh a lungfish will eat practically anything it can.... Though are we talking natural diet or diets we feed our fish?

Hmmm a little research just pulled out this-

Live prey may not contain much nutritional content and may harbor parasites and diseases.
Are these home bred, gut loaded fish you feed? As that would probably take care of those problems.

Though RES may readily eat anything, it is the responsibility of the keeper to offer a varied and balanced diet.

Even though they may not have the same nutritional density of other foods, it is recommended that they be used in limited amounts. Younger RES will already have a primary protein source from pellets and older RES should be fed mainly vegetables.

What else are you feeding the turtle?

(Quotes from http://redearslider.com/prey.html )

lol

they are feeder fish thats what they are there for. sorry if my little turtle is upsetting you. if u dont like feederfish being eaten you can boycott them. alright? good.

and i can tell wall-e is happy just the way he acts, moves, watches me.. and he also begs for food :|

and it is good to give your pets a varieity of foods so it stays healthy. there for his diet calls for live food once and awhile.

whats a lungfish? how big does it grow? im going to google it right now, it sounds interesting..

*googling*

aw its cute, like a little dinosaur eel.

edit: thats the site i use for all his info. i try to give him each thing on the lists. he doesnt really like mangos..

turtles are lazy..... and you said he ate the lettuce first so i would guess he likes the lettuce more... and how can you hate guppies?

thats like saying you hate elephants.

turtles are lazy..... and you said he ate the lettuce first so i would guess he likes the lettuce more... and how can you hate guppies?

thats like saying you hate elephants.

i guess he does like the lettuce more, but fish are still gone.

lol guppies are ugly.. and so are elepants.. ahhh dont kill me

well thats why you have guppies? (maybe)

and i have wall-e :) everyone has their opinion so what ever. lets have cookies :)

My girlfriends little brother had a turtle- personally watching a wall is more amusing.

maybe hence the name wall-e?

I never get bored watching wall-e. that would be like getting bored of watching my fish tank. not going to happen.

evey animal has its own personality. im not going to argue with you about this. thats just silly. i like turtles and you dont. thats aright.

I have no problem with feeders what so ever, I often feed fish to my own. Though granted any feeders I use are normally home bred cichlids, that are still quite young or need to be culled.

As for begging for food, it just associates you with food, so when it sees you it thinks food. Doesn't mean it's happy; means it's hungry.

This variety theory isn't brilliant, haven't manufactured foods been designed to fill all the needs a certain animal has? Though I still feed a variety so I am a little hypocritical there.

Little? Lungfish can get huge :D Some species reach about 79 inches.

i was going to breed my own guppies but the ones i got were too small to breed :| so i just threw them in and that was that.

i like to give wall-e what is good for them. so if research tells me lettuce is good for him, i give him lettuce, if he likes i give him more. and his meal sticks.. but there is so many things he is not getting or getting too much of (like protien) so he needs something else.

hm.. i wonder how lungish would taste fried..

How big were these guppies? They can normally breed around 8 to 12 weeks old :S

Young RES seem to need a lot of protein.

Would be a waste... Though deep fried fish seems to come up a lot in chat strangely enough... Deep fried betta is the way to go though :D

these were less than an inch thats for sure. im not sure of the actual size, but they just wouldnt breed.. so i gave up. (i put them in QT for a few days and fed them lots)edit:yes they need alot, but too much causes pyramiding.. which is almost like a deformity that is preventable when young

maybe if the betta was huge. i dont like bones in my fish..

idk if he eats them whole or not i havent seen, but i dont think he would bite it piece by piece.. and if thats how he likes to eat fine.

he is a red ear slider, and is in a ten gal tank and is going to be moved in a month or less of time :| he is still tiny and the tank is pvcer 75% filled with water. plenty of swimming space.

and i dont care if he likes to chase them or not, and how else will he eat them ithout catching them.

wall-e wouldnt like this kinda talk, he is enjoying himself and i like to see him happy :) i dont care about the little guppies

I DONT CARE

edit: I HATE GUPPIES

i reply because i find this amusing. and do you have a turtle? if you do, how do you know if its happy? and if you dont, then why would you ask that.

do lungfish eat kittens? is it in their diet? then sure you do that.

wall-e is a turtle, he is doing what comes naturally, attack the moving fishie

these were less than an inch thats for sure. im not sure of the actual size, but they just wouldnt breed.. so i gave up. (i put them in QT for a few days and fed them lots)edit:yes they need alot, but too much causes pyramiding.. which is almost like a deformity that is preventable when young

Guppys won't breed in just a couple of days :rolleyes: .

Also, (not meaning to be offensive) IMHO you are speaking in a very childish manner ("wall-e tells me what he wants", "wall-e doesn't like you"- that sort of thing), the subject of feeding feeder fish is a serious matter and should be adressed as so. Feeding guppys without any concern for them whatsoever because you don't like them is an irresponsable attitude to feeder fish, you should act more maturely and take more responsability and generally show more concern over this matter IMHO.

My main issue with you in this thread is not the fact that you are feeding your turtle feeder fish, but rather on your attitude towards the subject and how you are treating it.

Also it is pointless to say you are feeding him guppys because its a natural turtle diet thing, guppys are not found in RES habitat full stop, so you shouldn't be feeding them to the turtle if you believe in and truly follow all of that natural diet stuff.

My main point is that it is not nesarsary to put lots of guppys in the turtles tank which take all day long for the turtle to catch (causing the guppys a considerable amount of stress). According to the one of the main RES forums, feeder fish be fed in moderate/limited usage amounts in small portions;

http://redearslider.com/prey.html

I'm sure you RES likes feeder fish, but he is a pet and you are feeding him animals which are also essentially pets/domesticated animals. IMHO You should just show more responsability and concern over these delicate matters like the subject of deliberatley feeding live (intelligent) animals to other live (intelligent) animals.

im sorry, i was being immature.

but i didnt see him torturing the guppies, and it was only a few, and after the lat one is gone, its going to be a month before any others.

idk if he eats them whole or not i havent seen, but i dont think he would bite it piece by piece.. and if thats how he likes to eat fine.

he is a red ear slider, and is in a ten gal tank and is going to be moved in a month or less of time :| he is still tiny and the tank is pvcer 75% filled with water. plenty of swimming space.

and i dont care if he likes to chase them or not, and how else will he eat them ithout catching them.

wall-e wouldnt like this kinda talk, he is enjoying himself and i like to see him happy :) i dont care about the little guppies

I DONT CARE

edit: I HATE GUPPIES

i reply because i find this amusing. and do you have a turtle? if you do, how do you know if its happy? and if you dont, then why would you ask that.

do lungfish eat kittens? is it in their diet? then sure you do that.

wall-e is a turtle, he is doing what comes naturally, attack the moving fishie

Guppys won't breed in just a couple of days :rolleyes: .

Also, (not meaning to be offensive) IMHO you are speaking in a very childish manner ("wall-e tells me what he wants", "wall-e doesn't like you"- that sort of thing), the subject of feeding feeder fish is a serious matter and should be adressed as so. Feeding guppys without any concern for them whatsoever because you don't like them is an irresponsable attitude to feeder fish, you should act more maturely and take more responsability and generally show more concern over this matter IMHO.

My main issue with you in this thread is not the fact that you are feeding your turtle feeder fish, but rather on your attitude towards the subject and how you are treating it.

Also it is pointless to say you are feeding him guppys because its a natural turtle diet thing, guppys are not found in RES habitat full stop, so you shouldn't be feeding them to the turtle if you believe in and truly follow all of that natural diet stuff.

My main point is that it is not nesarsary to put lots of guppys in the turtles tank which take all day long for the turtle to catch (causing the guppys a considerable amount of stress). According to the one of the main RES forums, feeder fish be fed in moderate/limited usage amounts in small portions;

http://redearslider.com/prey.html

I'm sure you RES likes feeder fish, but he is a pet and you are feeding him animals which are also essentially pets/domesticated animals. IMHO You should just show more responsability and concern over these delicate matters like the subject of deliberatley feeding live (intelligent) animals to other live (intelligent) animals.
As always Tokis, very well said :good:

Drew

Most reactions

Back