Too Many Fish?

ny2oz

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Freehold, NJ
I upgraded to a 36 bow front gallon tank, and here is the stock. I want to know if it is too many, and if I can add a small group of glass catfish and/or 2 bamboo shrimp:

4 guppies
2 platies
1 molly
3 cory cats
3 bosemani rainbows
4 neons
4 glo-lite neons

filter is a HOT magnum 250 that can handle up to 55 gallons. PH I keep around 70, and temp is about 76-77.

Can I add 3 glass cat fish AND 2 bamboo shrimp? Just asking. I like both but not sure if I have enough room..thanks!
 
i would recommend a large water change and quick...... :crazy: your water stats are not good and need sorting. ammonia and nitrite need to be 0 if possible so a water change would be a good start before adding anything else.
 
Yep, with nitrite at 1ppm, you need a couple of big water changes, fast! I hope you haven't replied 'cos you're away doing them :D
 
Yes agree that you need a few large water changes asap

also you are not cleaning your gravel enough, you should be aiming to give it all a deep clean weekly, especially with 2 feeds a day.

Andy
 
Yes agree that you need a few large water changes asap

also you are not cleaning your gravel enough, you should be aiming to give it all a deep clean weekly, especially with 2 feeds a day.

Andy

Thanks! I actually did a partial water change, and willdo doing the deep gravel clean once a week. I saw on my accidental old post that no one recommends getting a school of glass cat fish, that I have enough. All agreed also?
 
i'll recomend to not to put any fish there.because your tank is already overcrowded...if you add fish then it will cause NH# and nitrite problem...
 
Since ny2oz started 2 topics with the same initial post, and both topics got some replies, I have merged both topics together. So this lone thread may read a little funny but it is better to have all the responses together in one place.
 
I have a 36 gal bowfront too. I would say your tank is fully stocked and you do not need any more fish. the neons should be kept in a school of 5 or more. Your Molly will be ok.
 
I upgraded to a 36 bow front gallon tank, and here is the stock. I want to know if it is too many, and if I can add a small group of glass catfish and/or 2 bamboo shrimp:

4 guppies
2 platies
1 molly
3 cory cats
3 bosemani rainbows
4 neons
4 glo-lite neons

filter is a HOT magnum 250 that can handle up to 55 gallons. PH I keep around 70, and temp is about 76-77.

Can I add 3 glass cat fish AND 2 bamboo shrimp? Just asking. I like both but not sure if I have enough room..thanks!

stocking sounds good.
 
I upgraded to a 36 bow front gallon tank, and here is the stock. I want to know if it is too many, and if I can add a small group of glass catfish and/or 2 bamboo shrimp:

4 guppies
2 platies
1 molly
3 cory cats
3 bosemani rainbows
4 neons
4 glo-lite neons

filter is a HOT magnum 250 that can handle up to 55 gallons. PH I keep around 70, and temp is about 76-77.

Can I add 3 glass cat fish AND 2 bamboo shrimp? Just asking. I like both but not sure if I have enough room..thanks!

stocking sounds good.


From everyone's advice, I will be re-checking everything again tonight after partial water change and deep vaccuum yesterday. Also cleaned out filter just to keep ahead. I will also NOT be adding any more fish. I know tetras are best in groups of 5 or more, but since I thought I had enough fish (couple were gifts), I figured i'd keep at 4 each...I used to have 7 neons before I got the glo-lites, but due to a disease I lost 3 (a while ago). Would bamboo shrimp be safe to add...or would they count as fish too?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top