Too many bottom feeders?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon tank with a footprint of 100 x 43cm (height is 57cm). I intend to stock 8 kuhli loaches, 3 Bristlenose pleco and 18 Corys. As well as a school of 24 red or black phantom tetras. My water parameters suit these fish at 8 dGh, 15 KH and Ph of 7.2-7.6 (hard to tell with the test strips sometimes).

There are already about 15 neocaridina heteropoda "wild" and tomorrow I will be adding the first bn. I am confident that my tank isn't overstocked when taking in account the water volume but I'm not so sure when it comes down to physical space for all the bottom feeders. Bottom feeders consist of all the fish I'm adding except the tetras.

On a scale from lightly planted to heavily planted I'd say my tank is currently medium and will be heavily planted once certain plants I want become available locally (likely in the next week or two). There are also some rather large pieces of spiderwood in the tank.

What I'm asking is whether or not I can keep this many bottom feeders in my tank?

Thanks,
Jordan

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

IMO the Kuhlis will suffer as they can be shy and slow to come out of hiding when it comes to food.

3 BN's if they are males they could fight.

IMO the Kuhlis will suffer as they can be shy and slow to come out of hiding when it comes to food.

3 BN's if they are males they could fight.
Going to try and find relatively full grown bn. That way I can get 1 male and two females. As for the Kuhlis, can you give me a slightly more in depth explanation to why they will suffer?

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

Again this is just my opinion.

Fish like Cories and BN's will push the Kuhlis off the food.

I had to remove my BN from the tank I have Kuhlis in, simply because when I put a pellet in the tank the BN jumped on it and the Kuhlis couldn't get to it, this resulted in me having to break up a pellet or 2 so everybody got fed and in overfeeding.

I moved my Bettas and BN to the tank in my signature and left the 15 Kuhlis in the 2 footer with some shrimp.

Yes I know this is a Betta stealing food, but this can be a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back