Togo eggs

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Found 5 E. Togolensis eggs today moved into a small container with ro water and peat moss any tips?
IMG_0841.jpeg

About halfway through development, in about a week, do a water change in the container with the water they will live in. If they hatch into RO, it won't be good. I use tap all the way. Depending on hardness, that could call for an RO tap mix, but not necessarily. I have the luxury of soft water.

I have started running an airline into the incubation container. I also keep the containers very clean, with no peat.

You can collect eggs for 4 or 5 days, after which time you would need a second growout aquarium. Older siblings can be serious predators on newly hatched fry.
Stage one - watch for a black dot in the egg.

About halfway through development, in about a week, do a water change in the container with the water they will live in. If they hatch into RO, it won't be good. I use tap all the way. Depending on hardness, that could call for an RO tap mix, but not necessarily. I have the luxury of soft water.

I have started running an airline into the incubation container. I also keep the containers very clean, with no peat.

You can collect eggs for 4 or 5 days, after which time you would need a second growout aquarium. Older siblings can be serious predators on newly hatched fry.
Stage one - watch for a black dot in the egg.
Ok thanks I’ll add majority tap water to the container I checked this morning and found one more egg and will check again tonight.

Update: In the first 5 days I needed up finding 7 eggs all of which started developing little black eggs but 2 went white which I have moved to a seperate container just in case. In a new batch I have found 3 eggs.

White eggs are unfertilized. Young males often fail to fertilize them all. You did the wise thing removing them. They'll decompose and that can kill the good eggs.
You can watch the growth of the embryo through the transparent egg. I can't remember the exact timing for that group of Epiplatys. It haven't kept any for 20 plus years. I would expect between 12 and 21 days, with 21 more likely. I incubated mine at around 20, and I'm thinking Australian rooms won't be that cool. A little warmer is better, and faster.

My huberi, from a different Epiplatys lineage, run about 14 days.

definitely a little warmer now hopefully speeding up development. The difference between new gas and eggs only a few a days older is defiantly amazing the eggs can go from to black spotted over and day or 2 which is cool. How big of a container do they need once they hatch?

Most reactions

Back