To Shrimp or not?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tdc4266

Reaction score
Hi
I am 10 days into cycling the aquarium.
I am seeing some algae growth. I do not know what it's called but it is a stringy type.
It is mainly on the wood.
I am adjusting the lighting and do water changes every other day.
I have read that in tanks that are cycling algae growth is common?
I was thinking of getting some algae eating shrimp. Would this be a good idea at this stage?

You don't add any aquatic organisms while the tank is cycling because the ammonia will kill them. This includes fish, shrimp, snails, frogs or any other life form (besides plants).

If you post pictures of the stringy stuff, we will try to identify it.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
I have removed the algae but I suspect it will be back.
I will try to take a photo and post it.

Happy day...its perfectly normal for tanks to have algae, and it will come and go over time, and in all sorts of amazing shapes and colors. You can use a naughty child's toothbrush to wind around the stringy stuff until the tank is done cycling, heaven knows that kids need more green matter in their diet, anyway. No need for chemicals, and yes, cutting back the light will help some. After the tank is cycled, and depending on what else is going in the tank (I didn't see fish list in original post on intro forum), amano shrimp will help out, or a flock of Otocinclus as they like to shoal, or both. Just remember...aquariums are about the long view.

By way of a pointer, if you do use a naughty child's toothbrush to clean the algae, you will give them something concrete for them to resent you for later in their life. If you use your significant other's toothbrush, expect immediate retribution.

I would not suggest shrimp, because your tank is not fully cycled.

You don't add any aquatic organisms while the tank is cycling because the ammonia will kill them. This includes fish, shrimp, snails, frogs or any other life form (besides plants).

If you post pictures of the stringy stuff, we will try to identify it.
Hi thanks for the reply. Maybe you can identify these algae.
. 20201227_114514.jpg20201227_100725.jpg20201227_100710.jpg

Stags horn. My shrimp (amano, red cherry) don't eat stags horn nor hair algae. :rolleyes:

Happy day...time for the toothbrush trick. Place the toohbrush in the tank with the bristles on the rock. Gently twist your wrist as you move along the rock, which will rotate the toothbrush and wind the algae around it. When done, place it in spouse or child's toothbrush holder and prepare for a reaction video.

Happy day...time for the toothbrush trick. Place the toothbrush in the tank with the bristles on the rock. Gently twist your wrist as you move along the rock, which will rotate the toothbrush and wind the algae around it. When done, place it in spouse or child's toothbrush holder and prepare for a reaction video.
Made the mistake of forgetting a very tiny glass vessel full of live mosquito larvae and bloodworms on the table after collecting them outside. Literally two minutes! while I went to get a sweater. I almost got served with papers! Seriously considering the toothbrush approach, then it will be justified. ?

Remember when using a child’s toothbrush that one day that child may be choosing your care home.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back