To remove or not to remove (a sponge fiter)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gypsum

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'd been running my 70L tank with a sponge filter, but I wasn't 100% happy, so I whacked in a small external canister filter that had been on another tank, but had become tank-less after I'd put a bigger one on the other tank. Both the canister and the sponge have been happily doing their thing in the 70L for about three weeks now. I'm considering removing the sponge, but I'm not sure if I should. As I see it, the advantages of keeping it are that it provides lots of media, and the otos like it. The disadvantage is that it takes up a lot of space, and 70L ain't that big.

Inhabitants are five otos, four pencilfish, and three apistogramma borellii. Tank is heavily planted. When in doubt, add another plant.

Thoughts?

can you post a pic of your tank showing the sponge filter

I'll try to remember to post one tomorrow, as it's 0145 and the tank is dark. :) The aquascaping on the tank in question is purely functional (lots of plants and breaking up apisto territories), not pretty, so I'm always a bit mortified posting photos of it.

what model canister filter is on the tank?

Why did you replace the filter in the first place? (may affect your decision if its lack of space in the tank :)).

You have a sensible stock level (if anything I would add more pencilfish) and plenty of plants - so you don't need 2 filters.

I just wasn't convinced it was doing a great job. There was a lot of sludge in the tank. The tank looks a lot nicer now.
126498621_675320113170178_2465016041886466906_n.jpg

Fair enough. Sponge filters are not great at mechanical filtration so thats easily explained. Your choice what to di with the sponge. Not really needed but no harm in keeping it.

You have a sensible stock level (if anything I would add more pencilfish) and plenty of plants - so you don't need 2 filters.

Whether the OP needs 2 filters is based entirely on what he's trying to accomplish and what he values. For instance, filter cleaning/replacement is a snap minus twitchy water parameters,

The OP isn't "he." ;)

That sponge is still there. At some point, I might get around to moving it. I want the apistos to breed, but waiting for the male to mature enough to get busy. He's a fair bit younger than the females. It might be another argument for hanging onto the sponge -- it will probably provide food to the fry.

My post was directed at seangee in regards to how many filters are needed. My position is based on a simple principle: what a person needs or not is their choice, full-stop. The best I can personally offer is "advice and recommendations" based on my experience and current mindset.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back