To Rehome Or Not To Rehome.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

leah2296

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I think I am in favour of rehoming but I need advice.

Many cichlids in my tank are 6-10 years old. One of the babies grew up into a big, mean nasty fish and he now rules the tank. He is gorgeous (the photos don't do him justice) but he is absolutely ruthless. He plucked out the eye of another male.

This guy was born so long ago, I can't remember exactly what species he is. Can he be ID'd?

My tank has lots of hiding spots but it doesn't seem to be enough.. I think this guy needs a bigger home and playmates his own size. My problem is - how do I rehome him? I don't want him to end up with an amateur where he will die from poor water quality or will kill every other fish in the tank.

I'm in Ottawa - anyone on here know of the best place to take him? Or is anyone in the area and wants him?

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 150
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 147
He looks amazing not sure what type he is and your tank looks amazing too. I want to do a cichlid tank one day too from Tom

Thanks for your input!! I was thinking electric blue but he has a wider head. Is there such a thing as a blue zebra? That's what he looks like to me..

Yes, could be ice blue zebra, difficult to tell exactly, reckon one or the other really.  

Like said earlier, am certainly no cichlid expert, i love the way they look, especially firemouths 
wink.png

Hopefully someone who keeps these will help out with more information and details as to which species you have.

Lovely fish BTW 
smile.png

Im trying to rehome a red devil cichlid at the moment, and it is certainly a challenge. If someone offers to take him in, ask if you can go to their house, if the filter has bacteria (If they are clueless they may say no), what the stocking is, etc.

Tell them if you dont like the conditions. Teach them a bit. Tell them the size that this fish can get to and his agression level. They need to know everything they can if they want this fish.

Ask them about tanks, fish, cycling, etc to know how much they know.

Its alot but it will help!

I found someone on my local aquarium society's web forum. Seems like the best possible place to find a new home! 

I was still unsure about rehoming him until I watched for bit this afternoon - he has claimed the entire tank as his space and the rest of the fish are cowering in the corners so I really think it's the best choice.

Most reactions

trending

Back