To Much Co2 I Think What Now(pics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

black molly3

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i have a 2 liter pop bottle with 1 teaspoon of yeast in and about a small cup of sugar in there filled up with water gave it a shake about and othing seems to have happened. i have a small airstone on the end of the tube inside my tank could this be stopping the bubbles. nothing seems to e going on in the 2 liter bottle though.
any help

i have a 2 liter pop bottle with 1 teaspoon of yeast in and about a small cup of sugar in there filled up with water gave it a shake about and othing seems to have happened. i have a small airstone on the end of the tube inside my tank could this be stopping the bubbles. nothing seems to e going on in the 2 liter bottle though.
any help

Did you use warm water?

The airstone won't be stopping it. Pressure in these things can build up quite substantially. Perhaps there is a leak in the system perhaps?

yes it was around 30 degrees when i done it. i have put the bottle next to the radiator to heat it up. should i add more yeast.
thanks for your help

I used to use 1 small cup of sugar, 1tsp bakers yeast (from Tesco) and about 1L of warm water, shook it like a twit for abour 10 sec and then left it.

For your 2Litres then, I'd use twice as much.

About 1/2 to 1 hr later, out comes the CO2.

I would not put it on a radiator - I think that'll be way too hot IMO. Room temp is OK at about 21C.

Check for leaks if you want to by submersing the whole thing in water & look for escaping bubbles...

Andy

thanks andy. i dint think of that way for checking for leaks i done a simple way which has seemed to work. got some blue tack and covered the lid and also tightened the lid. after abut 5 mins i pressed on the side of the bottle an i could feel the pressure becoming grater so i think that hs sorted it for now. i will let you know how it gets on.
thanks
any other ideas are welcome
also how big are the bubbles what come out. thanks

lots of bubbles are cumming out but there like tiny smaler than 1mm should i remove the air stone. what should i do.
plz reply
look is this too many bubbles at the urfece look how small the bubbles are aswel.
24112007274.jpg

thanks

here is a pic of my tank about 2 mins ago its looking good with 7 minnows in it. i took the air stone off and about 30 bubbles of carbon dioxide came out so i put the air stone back on again and its stopped because there isnt enoughcarbon dioxide in the bottle. so what do you think i should do. i think ive added too much yeast.
24112007275.jpg

Just wait now.

Airstone is not best way to get CO2 into the water, use a ladder at the very least.

Andy

the water will "absorb" the co2, at the moment its just going straight to the surface and popping so not really helping you in any way

how do you build one. i wll probabaly buy one tomorrow so how much are they but im just curious how to make them
thanks for the replies

You want small bubbles, they will dissolve into the water better than large ones, though many may still reach the surface.

A ladder is something the bubbles move up in a zig-zag maximising their contact time with water, letting more CO2 get into the water from the bubble.

A difuser (check ebay, £5 or less) creates very small bubbles (smaller than airstones) which mean they get dissolved into the water much better again.

Unless you also have a decent drop checker (4dkh water, bromo blue, is there a pinned thread on this?) then you have no way of knowing if you are reaching the generally said to be ideal 30ppm of CO2 without loads of water tests (which are often not accurate anyhow).

i mightget a ladder then but the bubbles i hve now are small and the pump blows them ove to the side so they stay in the water longer. i have tied a knot in the airtube to make theamount of bubbles smalle.
i will go to the lfs tomorrow and get a ladder
thanks
also what does ppm mean and what drop test should i get (not abreveated lol)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back