To Build A Tank, Or Not To Build A Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
We'll the story is that my friend and I decided that we want to build a tank this summer. Only thing is that we're both a little low on funds. So we we're thinking what if we used grey bricks and concrete for the back and sides? Would that work to create the tank and be leak proof? Or would getting some pond liner for the interior of the bricks be better? The front would be made of glass.

BIG scale, i see.

I cant see why it wouldn't work, but i think getting a good joint between the back/base and the glass front is going to be a tough one.
Think you would need a frame set into the concrete with silicone and rubber seals to join the glass and frame.
Cladding the inside with natural stone could look good, what sort of setup do u want?

You could paint the brick walls with bitumen paint. That should make it water proof. I think pond liner is bitumen based anyway? Just a suggestion. :good:

The majority of bitumen paint in the uk is passed by the water authorities for drinking/cold water storage so really aka fishsafe

Used it on countless concrete koi pool jobs

As long as concrete etc has fully cured it's fine to use (if not it will not cure/dry especially when filled straight away with water)

Several coats undiluted, large areas i would use throw away rollers and finish with a brush

Also yrs ago my dad sourced different coloured bitumens (blue/yellow/red to name a few ohh and a green one too) dunno if they're still available though so google etc

Tony

Just dig a hole. Haha I have seen people make some nice Big tanks out of wood.

The majority of bitumen paint in the uk is passed by the water authorities for drinking/cold water storage so really aka fishsafe

Used it on countless concrete koi pool jobs

As long as concrete etc has fully cured it's fine to use (if not it will not cure/dry especially when filled straight away with water)

Several coats undiluted, large areas i would use throw away rollers and finish with a brush

Also yrs ago my dad sourced different coloured bitumens (blue/yellow/red to name a few ohh and a green one too) dunno if they're still available though so google etc

Tony

Well that bitumen paint sounds awsome! Only thing is I live in Canada and have never heard of it before LOL. Well thanks for some advice, I will have to talk to my buddy.

The other thing about the front glass is that we weren't sure if we wanted it to be one FULL side, or just a viewing window like 4x4, if we were to go with the viewing window do you think that sealing the glass into the concrete/cement blocks would work if when we were finished we used some extra sealent around the frame of the glass?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back