Tips For Complete Tank Cleaning?

Starfirefly26

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Points
0
No stock left (the last inhabitant was a Betta, swim bladder took him), and I am wondering how I could go about cleaning the tank out completely.

I've had algae problems in the past, and I want to make sure I can clean out as much as it as possible (replacing all decor/filter, as the filter seems to still be riddled with it). But, without hurting the aquarium itself, what would be a good choice to clean it with? I don't particularly want to take checmicals to it, since I do want to keep fish in it again.

The only thing I could think of is, after buying a new filter, use aquarium salt to soak it with (the filter stirring things around - Is that needed, even?) since I've had aquarium salt reccomended to clean decor with. Will this be effective enough?

And, completely unrelated to the above, has anyone made their own aquarium decor before? I've considered it, but don't want to risk any medium that would harm the fish (I'd assume clay (like sculpey) is right out).

Thanks in advance, and I hope I was clear enough.
 
Mix 10 parts water with 1 part bleach.

Try to get the cheapest bleach, as this will lack in other additives.

Then get a plastics scrubber and scrub away!

Then rinse it out very well after you are down.

When filling the tank back up, double up on dechlor the first time.

-FHM
 
If the tank is lit at the moment simply leave the lights off and cover the tank (1-2weeks), that will kill the algae as they need light to photosynthesise. No matter how much you scrub the tank as soon as you turn the lights back on the algae will appear eventually. Why go to the hassle of a cpmplete breakdown of the tank and the expense of buying new filter (and cycling it) and decor when leaving the lights off for 2 weeks will do the same job and keep the tank ticking over ready for new fish. Keep up with water changes and filter rinsing (in tank water obviously) and the dead algae will be removed. As the Meerkat says, simples and no bleach to worry about. Oh and if you are going down the full breakdown and clean use baby bottle steriliser (Milton fluid in the UK) works a treat and alot less riksy than bleach.
 
Algae is an entirely new issue.

If his fish died form internal parasites, I would be more worried about getting the disease out of the tank more than algae.

That is why I told him to do what I said.

There are many other ways to rid algae from the tank than just keeping the lights off for two weeks, plus he could have live plants which need light.

Also if the tank is near a window, turning the lights off for two weeks is going to absolutely nothing.

-FHM
 
What about using Hydrogen Peroxide, great dissinfectant and after a day it breaks down to water
 
Yeah, I'm kind of afraid something may be lingering in there. The bleach sounds like a really good idea to get everything scrubbed down. Thank you.
 
Mix 10 parts water with 1 part bleach.

Try to get the cheapest bleach, as this will lack in other additives.

Then get a plastics scrubber and scrub away!

Then rinse it out very well after you are down.

When filling the tank back up, double up on dechlor the first time.

-FHM

I go around cleaning tanks for a living :)
This is spot on but you have to remember it's gonna kill the beneficial bacteria
So you will have to cycle the tank again before adding any fish
 

Most reactions

Back
Top